Toronto Fair Report Day #1

jbiersteker

Toronto Fair Report Day #1

Post by jbiersteker »

Hello from snowy Toronto (I'm laughing because most of the schools here are from either Saudi or Kuwait). Some initial observations:
1. Organization and presentations have been great.
2. There is not a lot of schools here (only 31) and most as we said are either from Saudi or Kuwait (12 total out of 31)
3. One frustration has been the disappearance of jobs. I have been watching SFS for a humanities job for months now (and going through the stress of daily updates and disappearing jobs) and was so excited when even this morning the job was still available...and then you get here and they have nothing. This is the hardest part of this process when you haven't even had the chance to sell yourself!!
4. Why do unmarried couples try and go to the ME?
5. Be prepared to really sell yourself outside your subject areas
6. What you can give in Extra Curriculars is really important!!
7. Most of the teachers here are young and are either finishing school or freshly out. The unemployment of teachers here in Ontario is really having an effect on young teachers. I think we have a huge advantage however because we are "older" and married (although the Candian International School of Singapore has put a limit on teachers with dependents now that they apparently have about 70 teachers kids in their schools)

More to come!!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Really a sex change, see this is one of the many reasons the ME is a hole. No one even out of their right mind would do that in the EU.

I know of know such law that would require a dependent child to fly out of the country to renew their visa. Whats most likely the case is the school cant secure dependents visas, so the trips are basically to renew a dependents tourist visa.

Why candidates apply to religious schools and unmarried couples apply as couples in conservative regions I have found to be one of two reasons; A) They dont know or more often B) Ego, in that they just feel that exceptions should be made for them because they are westerners or that they are such a great teacher that rules/policies dont apply to them.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Psyguy,

I think you have hit the nail right on the head as far as naivety or arrogance.

Thanks!!