Quick decision-Western Academy Beijing!

Redvaldo

Quick decision-Western Academy Beijing!

Post by Redvaldo »

Does anyone have any info on this school-thoughts/feedback.??
seems like a good package...i think. need help! Thanks
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

From what I've read in here, it's a great school.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Great facilities. The people I know working there are sharp people. The school is outside the city a ways. I would consider it one of the top schools in mainland China along with Shanghai American School.
inman

Post by inman »

Great school. If they were interested in me I'd be over the moon.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

thanks a million!
Just didnt come off that well from what i read on the reviews. anyone else with any views?
Any thoughts from ex/current teachers

Any input much appreciated!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Redvaldo,

if they have offered you a job, you would be foolish not to take it. One of the top 3 schools in China. I have a friend working there who loves it.

It is demanding (all the tier 1 schools are) but very rewarding and you get treated well.

Keep us posted!

Are you at the London Fair?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Redvaldo"]thanks a million!
Just didnt come off that well from what i read on the reviews. anyone else with any views?
Any thoughts from ex/current teachers

Any input much appreciated![/quote]
-----------------------------------------
This is one case when you can mostly disregard the negative rules. Top quality school (from visiting the campus and knowing many teachers who worked there).

So why the mixed the reviews? Human nature. When you don't have any major (or even significant) problems or complaints then tiny (or even non-existent) ones loom very large and seem much more important than they really are. Take any offer and run with it. After a few years there you could write your ticket to almost anywhere in the world.
senator

Post by senator »

Don't forget the Beijing climate and pollution.
Air quality is getting worse and worse and the dry weather, sand, cold, aspen "puffs" every spring can wreak havoc if you or your family have respiratory problems and/or allergies.

But the campus and location are nice though it can be a traffic nightmare if you plan to actually see the city every now and then.

I taught in China for 7 years and have been to Beijing many times but it is definitely - for me and a lot of others - the proverbial "nice place to visit but..."
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I agree with Senator that not everyone will care for living in Beijing. For some the pollution, the nasty traffic, and the crowds are too much. But if you're okay with BJ, then WAB is a top school.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

thanks for all the replies..seriously!
i have researched beijing but am still trying to get a feel for it.
whats the cost of living if you generally eat out a couple of times a week and try and save and head out once a week for night with friends?(rough estimate)

Thanks again
txteach

Post by txteach »

Didn't you take a position in Abu Dhabi, or was that someone else?
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

had a supposed offer that didnt come off
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Top school, although you will have to deal with the cold and the pollution that comes with Beijing. I went to an IB workshop last year and spoke to a few teachers who worked there. The only complaints they had were that they had to teach MYP along with DP (most prefer DP) and the cold winters and pollution. But the package is very good and they all seemed to be very happy there.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Redvaldo - lots of savings opportunities for you and the Mr or Mrs - great connections to other parts of Asia through a wonderful modern airport and high speed train into the city - this is a destination school for many teachers.

Just saying...
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I'm at another school in Beijing - very happy with the school - and I've heard great things about WAB from former colleagues who worked there as well as current ones I know through work. Package will be fine I'm sure. You'll save money.

Only warning I can give you is that if you have children who are used to being outdoors, it could become an issue. We went from the extreme of Bangkok (outdoors every day with the children) to Beijing (indoors for a significant amount of time both at school and at home).

I realise we've only been here for about 6 months and it IS the worst it's been (I've been told), but it does affect us.