a couple questions about limited experience...

livefree

a couple questions about limited experience...

Post by livefree »

So far, schools have not been interested in me because I am a new teacher, and also my lack of IB PYP experience.

My first question is ...what schools (be specific plz) would hire new teachers?

second question....how does one get IB PYP experience?

Thanks.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Colegio Americano de Quito, for one. They have their own training for IB.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="heyteach"]Colegio Americano de Quito, for one. They have their own training for IB.[/quote]

Thanks! I will contact them.

Have you taught there? If so, did you like it? Also, is it a good, safe location for a single female?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Livefree - no experience whatsoever other than practicum?

If so, try schools in the Middle East - don't expect PYP, but expect to get experience - and then make a move to a PYP school...
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="shadowjack"]Livefree - no experience whatsoever other than practicum?

If so, try schools in the Middle East - don't expect PYP, but expect to get experience - and then make a move to a PYP school...[/quote]

practicum experience, plus 1 year
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

CAQ is a very well-organized school and has been around a long time. It is a full IB school. They take very good care of their ex-pat staff. Quito is reasonably safe; pickpockets and bag slashers are a problem but the school will teach you how to stay safe.
inman

Post by inman »

I agree with Shadowjack. Take one step at a time. First of all aim for a school that will give you some experience. If that experience happens to be IB then you're in luck, but if not, at least you got some experience and have more chips at the table next time.

If you're looking at the middle east then you'll have to rule out the UAE. As I remember they have a rule of wanting 3 years verifiable teaching experience for a teachers work visa. That might have just been for Abu Dhabi though. Keep an eye on it anyway.

A low end school in China might be a good option. Somewhere like Beanstalk might work, and I think they're IB. They pay little (but certainly enough to get by) and I wouldn't expect the greatest of professional environments, but if you can get experience and it's IB then it's everything you're looking for, right? There are a few others in China also but I can't remember the names of the top of my head. Maybe have a look at the IBO website and get a list of IB schools for China. There are quite a few.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Why not contact the American International School of Kuwait (AISK).

Website www.aiskuwait.org

They are a full World IB school and they do send people for training.

I can't load their website now - but it is Friday in Kuwait, which is like Sunday in the rest of the world, so it might be down until Sunday (which is like Monday in the rest of the world).

Good hunting!
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

You could try the ESOL schools, mostly in the Middle East and Egypt.
ann

Post by ann »

[quote="IAMBOG"]You could try the ESOL schools, mostly in the Middle East and Egypt.[/quote]

And what are the chances for teacher of french with no IB experience but only french baccalaureate experience ??
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Like inman said, there are plenty of schools in mainland China who will hire teachers without IB xp. They are usually smaller, younger schools that are very Chinese run and for-profit. Not everyone at these schools will be certified but you will get your IB experience. Just go to the IBO website and go down the list of schools in China - go to their websites and check for vacancies.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Ann, if you don't contact them and ask, you will never know, will you?

Go for it - you have nothing to lose!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

livefree, you could try to aim for China, but some of the schools can't get work visas for teachers with less than two years experience. That being said, I'm certain some of the lower tier, Chinese run schools would hire you and find a way to get your visa. Try Beanstalk, Beijing Bilingual (formerly Kinstar), Guanzhou Country Garden School, and Changchun American.

Actually Changchun American might be your best bet. They're IB and, because no one wants to live in Changchun, they hire newbies. Give them an email.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Chanchung might = CHA-CHING?

Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted livefree!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Changchun American definitely hires newbies, even with no experience. If you teach DP you'll be fine - the program runs very smoothly. But currently there is no MYP coordinator and PYP is full of non-credentialed teachers. The school prefers experienced teachers, of course, but the problem is that it's located in Changchun, which is a horrible city with freezing temperatures 6 months of the year. Check other threads about this.