Nagoya International School

emilyhurd

Nagoya International School

Post by emilyhurd »

I'm looking for feedback about Nagoya International School. The reviews are mixed and on the negative side, but I know that's not a reliable source of information. It sounds like they are revamping- new facilities, stronger SPED program, ...
Has anyone out there taught at NIS and lived in Nagoya? If so, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks!
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

My school plays NIS in sports and I have visited it on an occasion. The school is on the outskirts of Nagoya, about a 45 minute train ride from the actual city. Nagoya itself is Japan's tech city (Silicon Valley) if you will. Many tech firms are located there. The major employer though is Toyota as Toyota City is about an hour, or so, outside of Nagoya.

Nagoya itself, in my opinion, is rather blah when compared to other Japanese cities like Osaka, Tokyo and even Fukuoka. They do have a nice castle though.

The school is nice, but located in a neighborhood with not much to do around it. Their sports team are average, and the teachers that I have met there generally seem happy.
emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

Thank you for the helpful info. Please keep it coming.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Very nice school, have visited the school in a limited capacity, but living and teaching in Kyoto, it had a very good reputation, though they were a bit more "traditional" at the time. They are really approaching and modernizing many aspects of the school, and it was recently that i visited. They have a lot planed, what actually happens though is an issue of concern. Putting new paint on old walls, is still an old wall.

The compensation package is good for the region, considering cost of living and the opportunity for discretionary spending. There isnt much to do and most teachers that dont travel on the weekends tend to be the local homebody types. Those that need more excitement tend to burn through their money getting out of the city on the weekends. Those teachers wanted to be in Tokyo (Tokyo metro).

Admins are stable though the most common complaint (and it wasnt often) was admins defaulted to the policy manual to resolve issues. Exceptions were pretty rare, and the word used the most often was "unbending".
seashell

Post by seashell »

I lived in Nagoya when I first moved to Japan nearly 10 years ago and have been back to visit a few times. It is much quieter than Tokyo or Osaka. They've added a lot of "attractions" in the city over the last 10 years Ferris Wheels and shopping centers.

Very easy to access greenery and one of my favorite musuems Meiji Mura is not too far off.

I've heard rather nice things about the school. I think you would need a car in that area.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Does anyone know how competitive it is to get a job there relative to, for example, AISJ and YIS? I'd love to go to Japan for my next posting but it just seems so hard to get a job at a decent school there. Looking for a well established IB school.