I missed the UNI Fair deadline. Show up anyway?

btech

I missed the UNI Fair deadline. Show up anyway?

Post by btech »

Title says it all. Has anyone ever missed a deadline for a fair, but had experience emailing an attending school and requesting to have an interview in the accommodating hotel or anything like that?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its called going rogue. Happens every year. You book a room at the hotel, and contact schools in advance, saying you will be in town, but didnt get an invite, but youd love to discuss how you can be a great value to their school. Happens all the time and yes people get hired through this all the time. Some people push the boundaries and end up getting caught too.

I cant recommend it for the UNI fair though. If your going to go rouge you might as well do the SA fair in BOS with a better selection of schools. Why rogue a fair when you could just as easily get hired with those schools online with Skype.
btech

Post by btech »

Problem is, although I have two years of international school experience, it was pre-certification, and teaching other subjects . . .

Still go rogue for Search Associates and not UNI?

Me: no post-certification experience, Physical Education (not in demand, right?)

Thank you PsyGuy!!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Wow thats tough. Where do you want to teach? The UNI fair is half SCA schools a quarter Asian and a Quarter ME schools. Of those none of them are really upper tier schools. If you rouged the BOS fair you wouldnt do very much and I cant say youd be much better at the UNI fair (though you would be more competitive).

Going rouge only works if you have schools interested in meeting with you in advance. Id start working through the UNI schools and the SA schools going to BOS and see if you get any interest. Honestly at this stage of recruiting any interest your going to get is likely to come much later in the year.
btech

Post by btech »

I'll take anything I can get!! . . as long as I get to gain experience teaching the subject I am certified in. China, ME, Africa . . no care!

I taught English and Art in Shanghai for two years.
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

if its a forced choice then between the fairs, then rouge the UNI fair, your probability of success is higher.
btech

Post by btech »

Thank you so much PsyGuy. I am very much appreciative of your advice here, as well as all over your other posts.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Don't go rogue. It just takes one time getting caught and your name is mud.

I think people have been discussing these conversations on the forum. At Search Bangkok they were checking nametags like hawks. I also overheard a conversation about schools that weren't registered that put things in teacher's boxes.

Apparently teacher's weren't afraid of the old-snitches get stitches. People will tell on you if they find out. The associates were definitely ready to take further action.

Ask if you can still attend. If the answer is no, ask again later. If the answer is still no-try to attend a later fair. If you can't, then put a good portfolio together and wait until after Cambridge and start selling yourself. People get hired without going to fairs.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Its the UNI fair, so what its not like they are an agency. Its a once a year event. If your going for a real school database, go for SA. What are they going to do block you from going to next years UNI fair, just go rogue again.

Assuming you play it safe and just stick to your room and the public areas of the hotel and the recruiters room for interviews. Whats there to check, no one needs a recruiters permission for one adult to go into another adults room.

Yes other candidates will "tell on you", thats why you have to watch what you say and protect your own interests. They will tell on you for a lot of things other then being unregistered at a fair.

Yes recruiters and schools go rogue as well. We discussed this last year.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I agree with DCgirl. It's poor ethics to crash a job fair that you haven't paid for or been accepted to. I wouldn't want to work at a school that hired teachers that way either.

Ask UNI if you can still attend after missing their deadline, and if not, go to a different fair or try to get a job via SKYPE interview.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk of spending the ca$h for a plane ticket and a hotel when it may turn out to be a total waste of my valuable time, or maybe worse if it really can damage a reputation.

What would I do? Use the weekend to do something productive and totally risk-free. Spend the hours on the Search or TIE database researching countries, schools, and vacancies, writing cover letters, filling out online applications and doing whatever else needs to be done to sell yourself without attending a fair.

I haven't been to the UNI fair yet, but I will say that in more than one place in the accompanying registration materials it states that people wearing visible nametags will be allowed in the exhibition hall, implying that someone will be checking. How they would realistically keep tabs on hundreds of people is another question, though. I won't tattle since you're not my competition, but I doubt everyone will be that accomodating and, who knows, when the pressure is on I may feel differently if someone going for the same vacancies as me is going "rogue."

Good luck whatever you decide.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Comment

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Wow thats tough. Where do you want to teach? The UNI fair is half SCA schools a quarter Asian and a Quarter ME schools. Of those none of them are really upper tier schools. If you rouged the BOS fair you wouldnt do very much and I cant say youd be much better at the UNI fair (though you would be more competitive).

Going rouge only works if you have schools interested in meeting with you in advance. Id start working through the UNI schools and the SA schools going to BOS and see if you get any interest. Honestly at this stage of recruiting any interest your going to get is likely to come much later in the year.[/quote]
---------------------------------
I'm not going rouge for anyone. Although i may have considered a little lipstick and/or mascara for an elite school or two during the insanity of a job fair a few years back. :P

Seriously though there is a perfectly ethical compromise between going rogue and doing nothing. When you are contacting schools who will be at X fair that have openings you may be a match for, simply throw in a line that states although you will not be attending X fair, you will be in that region during that time frame and could make yourself available for an interview should your candidacy be given serious consideration.

It commits you to nothing and has very little chance of ruining your reputation. Of course it really only has a decent chance of working if you are in a high needs area or look too good to pass up (on paper at least). Otherwise it is way too easy for schools to convince themselves that the candidates at the fair (or the next one) will definitely provide a keeper.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

Unless there is a little red line under the word its spelled correctly. I think im going to aggregate the grammar conventions and just write all variations as "rog", there i simplified the term.

That sounds safer but its still going rog. ive written several times that you dont have to use the school mail boxes, or go to the candidate lounge or go to the presentations, or the social, or signup. You still have to have a place to stay and a place to interview, and while it would be more convenient and no reduce the likelihood of interviews by requiring recruiters to leave the fair hotel, you could stay at a different hotel and meet somewhere close by, none of those preparations however would mitigate that you are still taking advantage of agency/fair resources without an invitation. It might be safer, and "nicer", but from an ethical and integrity focused perspective, nicer doesnt make it the right thing to do. Its a scenario of the least unethical, but its still unethical.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I know 2 people considering going to boston fair but did not get invites. I advised to come here as I don't know much about it. But their recruiter did not send them invites. Is Search that strict? I know once I wanted to go to boston I was steered to Canada :(
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Search is very strict about this. Also, I do not think that schools would consider it good form. To not be invited to the fair and to show up anyway is disrespectful and inappropriate. Schools will not find your name listed for the conference, you will not have a file, appropriate name tags, etc. What does it say about your character? That you're a rule breaker? That you don't respect authority?

As a teacher, I would not want to work at a school that considered applicants who crash job fairs. Reputation, both of candidates and schools, are very important.

I'm sure someone will come along and say that it shows motivation and eagerness for a job, but I see it speaking quite loudly of poor character.

[b]However[/b], what wrldtrvlr123 said was reasonable. "When you are contacting schools who will be at X fair that have openings you may be a match for, simply throw in a line that states although you will not be attending X fair, you will be in that region during that time frame and could make yourself available for an interview should your candidacy be given serious consideration. "