Going back on agreement

Redvaldo

Going back on agreement

Post by Redvaldo »

read a few posts on going back on contracts/agreements etc. My question is if you're at a fair and you get an offer and you accept(im not sure if you sign a contract?) in the middle east,say abu Dhabi.Then a few weeks later you get a more preferred option in Abu dhabi and you want to take the later,would you be able to accept? would you be unable to get a visa(find problems)due to leaving the first school...sorry for the disjointed post. any help/advice appreciated!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I think as long as it's only a verbal agreement, you shouldn't worry. I would stand very firm against breaking a written contract, however. Never sign a contract unless you're willing to fulfill it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Havent you asked this before? It seems we just had this discussion.

Of course you can accept, there is no jail for breaking contract. if you do it right there is no consquences, but first...

***WARNING: YOUR WORD IS YOUR BOND***

At least when it comes to teachers breaking contract they take this very seriously, and the doom sayers (admins) on this forum are going to tell you that without your word, you have nothing, and doing this is a definite lack of integrity and your career will be over, and the big agencies will punish you. You will never work again and they will all instagram each other saying your a loser and you will never work again in an IS.

*Yawn*

Anyway it happens often every year and its really justa lot of fear mongering if you do it right. First you need to keep your new school as far from your agency as possible. Come up with a family emergency and let your first school down easy. then sign your new contract with the new school and just pretend the first school never existed. You would ahve no problem getting a visa, its highly unlikely the first school did anything visa wise. Your contract isnt even technically legally valid until immigration and the ministry of education/labor have verified your credentials and issued a work permit. Until that time your contract isnt legally binding.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Redvaldo,

this does happen. However, my question is this. Why did you accept the job at the first school if it wasn't what you really wanted?

Also, if you have an offer you usually sign a contract at the fair (all the candidates I know who got jobs in Bangkok signed at the fair).

My advice, think long and hard before you accept ANY offer that you are not 100% committed to.
sid

Post by sid »

It doesn't seem so long ago that PG was claiming to be admin and a recruiter. But this season, he's very down on admin and recruiters. Hmmm....
Don't go back on your word.
Schools do talk. And you're talking about schools in the same country. I can't speak for the UAE, but where I am, the school admin types have regular gettogethers to discuss shared issues. And that's just the official get togethers, not the social ones.
Even outside the country, people talk.
At a recent fair, my friend and I were courting the same applicant. We knew it, but he didn't know we knew. We just did our own thing and let him make up his mind. (This happens every year i go recruiting, by the way, which is not always every year.)Imagine the fireworks if he tried now to switch schools.
You just can't know who knows what or whom.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Im not down on admins or recruiters at all, there is no social desirability quality to any discussion or reply i have (except for the ME being a hole) those events happen, and admins and recruiters do engage in that behavior. I care about the data, not the level of social acceptance perceived with a particular action or behavior. I even gave the obligatory counter argument in advance.

Is it your position that all recruiters and admins are pillars of virtue? That recruiters and admins NEVER break contract? That at all times, the collective group of admins always act with honor and integrity? Are all the reports and reviews posted on the paid side of this site false, they are all just fiction generated by a group of vengeful teachers with an axe to grind?
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sid

Post by sid »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Some admin are cads and behave badly. I think they're by far the minority.
Some teachers are equally badly behaved. Also by far the minority.
I don't approve of either group's behavior, nor do I use it as a pretext to explain away my own or anyone else's bad behavior.