Qingdao

BritishGuy

Qingdao

Post by BritishGuy »

Hey guys,

I'm debating sending an application for a Post at Qingdao Amerasia International School, In Qingdao China. I see that they are going for IB, which is perfect as I only have 2 years IB experience. I'm currently in the UK teaching in an IB school in London.

Does anyone know anything about Qingdao apart from it being a 2nd tier city? It looks a beautiful coastal city, but is it as polluted as the bigger cities? What's Qingdao like for expats? I have a boy who is school age, and it would be great if he will be mixing with other expat kids.

How about the school does anyone know about Qingdao Amerasia International School? What are the typical salaries for International Schools in Qingdao? How well I the school run? Anything really?

Thanks, appreciated any feedback...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

City seems to be nice. Not as polluted or expensive.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I have a friend at that school and he seems to like it there. Small school and nice students. I think he's on 24k but has to pay for his own housing (I think). Loves Qingdao - coastal city and very nice.
mack77

Post by mack77 »

IMHO, Qingdao is about as good as you get in China if you factor in living environment, cost of living, Western amenities and history. I found both the city and the people quite civilized.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I've a couple friends who've worked there for the past four years and they seem to love it. They just signed on to stay for another year or so.

I chaperoned a MUN trip to Qingdao last February. The city seemed okay. Nice mall. Right on the coast, so there's a beach you can picnic on and the sea breeze seems to blow away the worst of the pollution. Not the most exciting of places, but as far as mid-tier cities in China go, it seems like a decent enough place to spend a few years. You could do a LOT worse, city-wise.
LorneBr

Post by LorneBr »

I'm following this thread closely as I am in talks with the Yew Chung I.S. (secondary). The published salary is 28K or above +airfare, lodging, and "gratuity". Despite looking it up, I'm quite confused on what this actually equates to in USD per year. Also, what is gratuity as it relates to educators?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with the previous posters. I think Qingdao sucks. Its way to small and small city living. Yeah theres a beach but during the school year your not going to go, and during the summer there are far better beaches in the world to go to. Theres a mall, but theres a shopping center everywhere. Its more a third tier city then a second tier city. Its not anything even close to London.

There arent a lot of expats in Qingdao its not like Bejing or Shanghai. The air quality is a lot better of course, but everywhere is better then Bejing.

@LorneBr

Gratuity means at the end of your contract you get a bonus.

Yew Chung doesnt pay for your airfare they reimburse. The insurance is also a major problem, they give you a stipend to buy a plan through the school, but its not enough for anything that would actually give you any value. The housing is okay but there is nothing special about it. Yew Chung also collects the full taxes which will be 25% so 28K RMB is really 21,00 RMB which is at the bottom of the salary scale for an IT.
LorneBr

Post by LorneBr »

Contract is on the way. Though I'd like to venture away from home, my current situation is pretty good.

@PsyGuy, thanks for the response and clarification. You seem to be a very active poster with experience and extreme opinions.

Anyone else have opinions about YCIS Qingdao?
Canada11

Post by Canada11 »

Living in China can be difficult and Qingdao will have its own unique challenges. I don't think Qingdao or the international schools in that city are well known. Personally, I would never live or work there (unless you think you're not tier one teacher material). But if you're just taking a leave from your current school to experience something different, sure why not live in Qingdao. The experience will make you appreciate your life back home!
LorneBr

Post by LorneBr »

@Canada11
Thank you. This really is about experiencing a different culture.

Contract came in with 36K (about 33K after taxes) + benefits and gratuity
Canada11

Post by Canada11 »

@LorneBr... You'll definitely enjoy China if you are looking for a unique experience. I've been living in China for six years now and even though I'm ready to leave, I have no regrets. When you get here, you'll definitely want to travel the country. A great site (basically the Chinese version of Expedia) to book flights is called Elong. http://www.elong.net/
Check it out. Enjoy China!
LorneBr

Post by LorneBr »

@Canada11 It's all but official now. Good information about Elong. Thanks for the encouragement.
curiousme

Re: Qingdao

Post by curiousme »

Just got an invitation to interview with YCIS Qingdao. Any up-to-date info? The salary quoted is way higher than what has been mentioned on here. Max entry is US$82k rising to US$100k with paid accommodation and 20% tax. Is this misleading? Can someone comment on the pollution levels there (not in relation to China but in relation to healthy living)? Thanks.