American School in London

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Very good school, tier 1 and a strong majority would consider it the elite school. The compensation package is very good for europe. You will earn every penny though, they require the metaphorical pound of flesh. Kids are extremely bright and talented. Most of them are performing above grade level. Admins are professional and supportive, they wont hold your hand and expect that you can take care of yourself.
most people that leave and they have low turnover complain about the cost of living or the workload.
yoplay

Great School

Post by yoplay »

Can't beat the location, right in St. Johns Wood, about a block or so from the Abbey Road crossing of Beatles fame.

Pay wise, it's very high for Western Europe. From the research I've done, only Hague and Zurich are up there with it. Cost of living throws a wrench in savings potential though...so not sure how it compare with others in that regard. I've heard both Hague and Zurich are better in that regard. Again this is just from what I've been able to find. I would imagine that some of the solid schools in Eastern Europe have more savings opportunities given the lower cost of living. Then again, if you're looking for savings go to ME or Asia. It's tough to put a price tag on the joys of getting to live in a city like London.

It's an established school with high quality professionals. I wouldn't say that it is at the cutting edge of best educational practice, but it is certainly moving forward in a positive direction. The school head, Coreen Hester, is an impressive leader, and someone that people enjoy working for.
Teachers work extremely hard, but given the smaller school size (1,400), the pace of life there is not as hectic as your mega schools in Asia.

Hope that helps.