Clarify: Nibbles-Cold contacts

Autumn

Clarify: Nibbles-Cold contacts

Post by Autumn »

Hello,

Some of you mentioned having "nibbles" - what exactly does that mean?

Are people being contacted solely on their SEARCH site, initial contact made by the schools?

Thanks
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Some people are.

I was referring to any meaningful contact with a school (email, phone, Skype, etc.) that demonstrates their interest. For us, it's only been schools that we had already contacted through Search. We also have a website, and I keep an eye on the stats to see how often people visit, where they're from, and what information they're after, but I don't consider that a nibble. It's more a frustration, or maybe an obsession. :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Autumn,

a nibble is an indication of interest. It can be through a cold contact or through a contact you have initiated.

Before BKK some teachers had already lined up interviews. Some people had emails saying sign up at our table during interview sign up. Some people had both, and some people had none.

So if you have a nibble, it is a hopeful sign. No nibbles, makes you worry, even though most teachers do not have nibbles and go into the fair cold.

Hope that helps!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

"Nibbles" are interest (big and small) from a school. It can be their response to a contact from you (an application) or it can be the school initiating contact (usually as a result of a school searching for potential teachers using an agency search engine).

Top ranked teachers are usually recruited early in the season around December and November. They may be hired before the "recruiting rush" (Early January - Early February) which starts with the BKK fair and ends with the BOS (Cambridge) fair. These teachers have a network of recruiters and admins that take notice when they discover one of them is looking for a new position, and their is competition by recruiters for these teachers. Yes, some of them get hired without ever sending out a resume or email.