Horizon Private School (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)

BradEX

Post by BradEX »

Hello -

Does anyone have information about Horizon Private School in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates? How is the administration, housing, benefits package, and overall work environment?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
inman

Post by inman »

Horizon Abu Dhabi is outside of Abu Dhabi city centre but in close proximity to quite a few other schools. I understand that the basic salary is quite average for the area, but I don't know more about the package or admin. For me, when I was living in that area, Horizon was the school I was happy to have avoided. It had a very high percentage of local students compared to the other schools and apparently quite a few discipline issues (based on comments from parents of students who had transferred from Horizon to where I worked). It was a couple of years ago since I lived in the area, but if you are having an interview then I'd certainly ask their approach to behaviour management.
inman

Post by inman »

Horizon Abu Dhabi is outside of Abu Dhabi city centre but in close proximity to quite a few other schools. I understand that the basic salary is quite average for the area, but I don't know more about the package or admin. For me, when I was living in that area, Horizon was the school I was happy to have avoided. It had a very high percentage of local students compared to the other schools and apparently quite a few discipline issues (based on comments from parents of students who had transferred from Horizon to where I worked). It was a couple of years ago since I lived in the area, but if you are having an interview then I'd certainly ask their approach to behaviour management.
BradEX

Post by BradEX »

Thank you for the information!
joethelion

Beware of Horizon schools.

Post by joethelion »

I don't know this school, but one of two things is true:

1) Horizon Private School (Abu Dhabi) should change its name immediately

or

2) This is another of the Gulen Movement's "stealth" Horizon/Harmony schools. The Gulen Movement is a very socially and religiously conservative political and social movement in Turkey and the schools (dozens across the world) are created to fund the movement and spread its beliefs.

You will not be told this. I've known many former teachers and students of these schools who never knew that they were working for a political or religious cause. I have no problem with religious schools of any creed--BUT THE STUDENTS AND TEACHERS DESERVE TO KNOW.

Perhaps this school has chosen its name poorly and it is not one of the Gulen Schools. But I'd be wary.

Please look around online for the Gulen Movement and Harmony/Horizon schools. Here are a couple of links to get you going.

http://charterschoolscandals.blogspot.c ... hools.html

http://www.charterschoolwatchdog.com/th ... gulen.html
BradEX

Post by BradEX »

Thank you for your information. I appreciate the links, too!