Single mom with school age daughter

climbergirl

Single mom with school age daughter

Post by climbergirl »

Heading to Search Cambridge soon but wondering at my prospects.

I've been an educator for 24+ years, but only 4 that are traditional classroom K-12 experiences. I've taught high school Biology, Chem, and Physics (not as much physics), am certified in Middle School Science, and Secondary Science and am "highly qualified" in math (meaning I passed the PLACE exam). I was a NOLS instructor (see www.nols.edu) for 12 years and had an educational consulting business (developed curriculum, was hired by families who pulled their middle schoolers out of school to privately teach their kids math, science, Spanish). I have a BS in Natural Sciences and MS in Biomedical Sciences (just completed the latter which meant leaving my teaching job to go to school). My varied experience has made me a much better and more creative classroom teacher - I have many more tools and think outside the box more than if I had only taught in the classroom. However, I'm not sure how to convey this in the 30 second sign-up session. I did email a bunch of schools, filled out online applications with cover letters, but for the wham-bam I'm not sure how to get this across. Also, I know that hiring a single mom is not a school's first choice. Any thoughts out there?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi climbergirl,

first of all, forget about cover letters. Make a one page About Me sheet - highlight on this your education, training, skills, experience and philosphy. Also have a personal info section (for instance, I mention my marriage and my kids). You should have a photo of you on it near or at the top.

This will not replace your CV, but it will replace your cover letter.

Send an inquiry - in the title of the email, directly refer to the position you seek (ie HS Chemistry Teacher Position).

Sciences are in high demand.

I would target schools in Korea and China (simply because there are lots of them). Target Europe as well, but financially, Europe is not as attractive. Culturally and travel-wise, it is very attractive.

But get out there NOW and get cracking! If you haven't read my post about the Bangkok Fair, read it for pointers, especially my post-fair - about what I would do the same and differently.

Hope this helps - sounds like you would be a great addition to any school!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Cover letters arent really appropriate for signup at a fair. Id create an Ichiro, which is a creative flashy marketing alternative resume. A simple flyer with some photos of you in class, and 3-4 bullet points that cover your education, certification and experience. You want to motivate them to take a look at your resume. Forget your philosophy thats too much reading for 30 seconds. Forget your family information as well, youll never get an opportunity to sel yourself if you dont get into an interview room. Even if your family situation is a deal breaker for that school you never know where that recruiter will be in the future, and the recruiter maybe impressed enough with you at the interview to refer you to another recruiter where your family situation is not an issue. You may be so impressive in the interview that they are willing to make an exception and accomadate your family situation. None of those things happen if you dont get into the room though.

Id create an online digital portfolio that recruiters can access, which should include course outlines, lesson plans, laboratory exercises, photos of your students and you in action, teaching philosophy, etc. You have to get creative to showcase creativity.
Science is in high demand but within science certain subjects are more in demand then others. Biology teachers and lower secondary arent as in demand as upper secondary physics and chemistry.
Schools dont care about "highly qualified" to them it means you have a degree, certification and relevant experience in the classroom in that subject and grade level. Being certified alone gets you into the pile, but nearer to the bottom then the top.
climbergirl

Post by climbergirl »

Thanks for the responses. Would a postcard be a bad idea for the "about me" abbreviated resume? Do recruiters prefer 8 1/2" x 11" paper? Also, how important are photos in the classroom? I don't have very good ones (bad lighting, blurry, etc.) and are there privacy/legal issues with having photos of students? Thanks in advance for any answers!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

No classroom shots needed. Mine has a school photo, like what you would find in the yearbook. Contact info. Education. Skills. Experience. Factoids About Me

that should highlight everything you want the recruiters to zoom in on...

postcard is too small.

You can use letter or A4.

Good luck - the fair is 3 days awaaaaay!
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Single mom of 2 here. I've met several of us along the way. It definitely isn't an added benefit in hiring, but there are plenty of schools that will work with you. Even schools that state that they don't prefer or don't hire singles with dep's. On my about me sheet, I also included a cute pic of my family (all smiles and hugs) so they definitely know what they're getting. That actually seemed to go over pretty well. Good luck!
climbergirl

Post by climbergirl »

Thanks for all of the feedback! DCgirl, do your kids like being overseas?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

[quote="climbergirl"]Thanks for all of the feedback! DCgirl, do your kids like being overseas?[/quote]

They are very happy here. I have been so pleased with their adjustment. We had a few rough patches at the start and they miss their friends but they have never expressed regret about moving.

I can only think of one instance in which I have met kids that REALLY wanted to return home and even then it is nothing extreme. My parents said they were so surprised when after our summer visit to the US, the kids happily went to the airport and waved goodbye.

I am committed to staying abroad until they finish school. The general environment is so much healthier for them. With the exception of the HK pollution. lol