Germany - cost of living

Ddd

Germany - cost of living

Post by Ddd »

Would a family with young children be able to live well near Frankfurt, on 60 k euros, before tax? No housing of course.
jstwatchin

60K acceptable in Frankfurt

Post by jstwatchin »

According to a German relative currently visiting, its more than the average family there earns. Especially since you have 2 small children, you will be getting all sorts of tax breaks acc. to German law.

However, if the school does not help at all with housing, you will need to be prepared to pay around 3 months rent in advance, and German flats don't usually contain kitchen furniture (it has to be purchased separately).
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

Are you the new Upper School Technology Integrator at FIS?

How many children do you have?
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

Many thanks for the feedback watch.

I am not that person, just looking at wages and considering applying for jobs.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

When you say young "children do you mean 2?

It might be what many families are living off, but with having to pay tax on those tuition waivers (which at an average of 10K a piece and a 40% tax rate) you would starve.

Take 60K€ take 40% of that off for your taxes. That leaves you with 36K€. Each tuition waiver is going to cost you 4K€ each (total of 8K €) leaves you 28K€ divide that over 12 months and you have 2333€ a month. A 3 bedroom + Utilities will run you 1500€ a month. That leaves you about 800€ a month or 200€ a week for everything else from food, clothes, to all those things kids and wives need to keep them happy.
Youll spend at LEAST half of that (400€) a month on basic food (lots of noodles). 100€ a month on mobile phone for everyone with a BASIC prepaid plan. Transportation will eat up another 350€ a month for metro passes (22€ each for one week). Oops, your already over budget.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

2 children indeed, but very young. My oldest would go to school in August, so only 1 tuition fee tax to worry about for a while. What about the tax breaks for families with children? Any current info on these?
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

The school that I interviewed for in that area said that I would not have to pay tax on my 4 year old's tuition and that I would earn about 300 euros per month on top of my salary for my 2 children.

When I received the email from the Head of School that they were selecting another finalist he said that we would struggle on one salary as a family of four and I was going to be making more than the 60,000 euros.

Hope that info helps.