Why so many vacancies post-BKK fair?

fine dude

Why so many vacancies post-BKK fair?

Post by fine dude »

Having read the previous posts about the recently concluded SEARCH BKK fair, I'm still wondering why some top-tier schools, even after attending this fair, have so many vacancies listed on their school websites. Examples: Vienna IS, NIST, Concordian-BKK

Does this fair not attract superstar-teachers as claimed by the associates and several teachers?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Our school has about 35 openings and we were told today that 40% were filled at the two BKK fairs. I think administrators sometimes get into "the grass will be greener at future fairs" attitudes.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Not all the "superstar" teachers show up in Bangkok. A colleague at the fair shared the theory that 30% of the hiring was done in Bangkok, 30% in London, 30% in Boston and 10% via other fairs/other avenues.

Sounded about right to me :-)
sid

Post by sid »

A lot of schools, a lot of teachers, a lot of positions, a lot of fairs.
One gigantic jigsaw puzzle, and only some of the pieces are available at each fair. The whole thing won't be completed for months yet.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I have grown to hate that -. Our administrators use it all the time as they deny transfer requests, 'we're all puzzle pieces and we want to make sure all the pieces fit'.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Slow to update their Web sites??
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

^
This is it. Some schools (cough NIST cough cough) aren't good at all about keeping up to date job listings on their websites. The Search database is a much better gauge of what is still out there.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

A combination. A lot of schools were willing to wait until London and Cambridge. The websites and Search database are not updated. I was looking at positions today that I know were filled at Search Bangkok.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

All the above, and probably all of the below. Additionally, schools will keep a vacancy posted to continue building a candidate pool for future vacancies.

Even though youve signed a contract there are still a number of HR checks and vertifications to go through. Including your background check, verification of degree and certificate. The school has to amke sure they can get a visa for you.
Some schools will keep "looking" even after signing a contract. Its easy for a school to break a contract and explain it away to an agency, assuming they even had too. "Oh something came up in their background check" or "we had an organizational/financial issue develop". All kinds of reasons can just appear.