personal statement vs. "philosophy"?

julie33

personal statement vs. "philosophy"?

Post by julie33 »

Some schools have asked for a personal statement and others have asked for teachers to outline their "philosophy". What are the similarities and differences?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

They could be interchangeable terms for the same thing. Your best approach is to ask the school or read its application guidelines very carefully.

Typically a "philosophy" means teaching philosophy. Whats your pedagogy and methodology. Inquiry based is the hot approach since thats what IB is based on.

A Personal Statement is more a brief autobiographical outline of your personality and character. Are you enthusiastic, hard working, patient, persistent, etc.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Another question here…SAS is asking for a "brief" personal statement outlining why want to move to Shanghai, experience with curriculum mapping, what I would bring in terms of development of their school and tech integration.

How "brief" can this be? Are we talking one page of A4 still? Or can it venture onto the second page?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ChoirGuy"]Another question here…SAS is asking for a "brief" personal statement outlining why want to move to Shanghai, experience with curriculum mapping, what I would bring in terms of development of their school and tech integration.

How "brief" can this be? Are we talking one page of A4 still? Or can it venture onto the second page?[/quote]
-----------------------------------------

Brief is also in the eye of the beholder. One page would probably be about right, but a little more wouldn't kill your chances (the second page may or may not have their full attention).

If pollution is driving you out of Beijing, I'm a little surprised you are pushing for Shanghai. Air quality may be a bit better there but not exactly head and shoulders above where you are now (from my brief experience and friends who have lived in both places).

Good luck either way!
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Thanks wrldtrvlr,

have actually PM'ed you on TES website (since I can't here)…but thanks for the good wishes!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

I'm able to get into the PM message box and push send. I thought it was disabled altogether. Also they took off the chat room after a few people suggested allowing PMs. Is it enabled now?
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

Yep, PM's here seem to be turned on. I just tested one out to Choir Guy and it said that it went through. <<shrugs>>