Kings Academy Jordan

kabdurr

Kings Academy Jordan

Post by kabdurr »

Anyone have any information about this school. I'm interested in applying and would like to know specifically the benefits package. Do they provide airfare for dependents? What is a typical salary like for a person with say a BS and 10 years exp.? What is the work environment like? Many thanks.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

We interviewed with them. Glad we didn't get the job. The salary is not all that high, the health insurance is good only in Jordan, and they described the workload as "intense." Intense as in expect to regularly work from 7:30-6:30, plus weekends.

If you have dependents under high school age, you have to pay to send them to one of the international schools in the area. If your dependents are under school age, you have to pay for the onsite daycare.

We didn't get a good feeling from the three people interviewing us. Very cold and aloof. Didn't crack a smile the whole interview, but maybe they just didn't like us. Who knows? For other candidates, they may have been pouring champagne and raising the roof.
kabdurr

Kings Academy Jordan

Post by kabdurr »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate on what "not all that high" is in terms of salary. I'm planning to interview with them soon and don't want to waste my time. Is it over 2500JD for someone with 10 years exp.? Many thanks.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

It's between 30-40K USD before the 25-30% taken out in taxes.
kabdurr

Post by kabdurr »

Geez! Taxes are ridiculous! Thanks for that info. though. Very helpful indeed.
joethelion

good possibilities, but some doubts

Post by joethelion »

I know someone who interview with them last year. The school has interesting possibilities and Jordan is very nice.

The people who run it are very impressed with own selves. They do not respond to emails and give you a sense that you are lucky to work there. A friend working there calls it very stresful and demanding.

I decided not to contact them. But there are some good parts, I'm sure.
kabdurr

Kings Academy Jordan

Post by kabdurr »

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear some of the good too. All the bad mentioned, why do people work here? I mean aren't there other options or is Kings as good as it'll get in Jordan. Little pay, high taxes, stressful work conditions...hmmm...why not head back home?
Cindylouwho

Post by Cindylouwho »

Salaries are low compared to some other schools, but b/c it is a boarding school, all expenses are covered. If you want to, you can eat every meal in the dining hall. The food fluctuates. Some of the meals are quite good, some are vile.

It is an intense work week b/c of co-curriculars, dorm duty and weekend duty, but not that different from an american boarding school. VERY different, however, from working at a day school. On a night with dorm duty, your hours are between 7am and 11:30pm. It gets some getting used to, but it is manageable.

The faculty is great. Good, hardworking, fun, kind people. The administration, well, I'll stick with the "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

The best thing is that it's not an American school. There are very few american students. Some have dual passports and say that they are american, but 95% of the school is Jordanian or International. So, although you won't have a "full-immersion" cultural experience living on a gated campus, you also won't be surrounded by a bunch of diplomat ex-pat kids. That makes all the difference in the world to me.

Hope that helps!
nkraai

Re: Kings Academy Jordan

Post by nkraai »

[quote="kabdurr"]Yeah, I'm waiting to hear some of the good too. All the bad mentioned, why do people work here? I mean aren't there other options or is Kings as good as it'll get in Jordan. Little pay, high taxes, stressful work conditions...hmmm...why not head back home?[/quote]

I've heard many positive things about ACS Amman. Plus there is no income tax and they pay into SS/Medicare for you (if you are American) which most IS schools do not.