The BEST advice

andyleblanc

The BEST advice

Post by andyleblanc »

So what is the best advice you have ever gotten while considering or searching for an overseas job?

Also, what is the best advice you ever got once you first got overseas?

One more - who is the most reliable poster in this forum that I could learn the most from in your opinion????

Thanks for the time and insight!
overseasvet2

Good advice

Post by overseasvet2 »

Some of the best advice we got was not to stress if we did not get a job at the fair. Easier said than done. It did work that way for us on one recruiting trip. The resulting school was one of our favorite spots and we stayed 4 years.

The advice I would give is to be open to schools in locations you may never have heard much about. We stayed six years in a place we applied to only because a friend had been in the region and talked it up. (In the ME)

I always appreciate the comments from JISAlum and Durianfan. They have lots of experience and have a solid knowledge base. I appreciate Walter's admin perspective but he lets PsyGuy get under his skin. PsyGuy puts lots of time into number crunching for people. I would find his contributions more helpful if his opinions were stated as such and less as facts. Many of his comments (especially about the ME) could lead new folks astray.
inman

Post by inman »

The best advice I've had is to not pin your hopes on 1 job. It sounds perfectly normal and logical, I know, but even after quite a few years of experience I still fall into the trap of stopping and waiting to see what happens if I've had an interview with somewhere I really wanted, and I've let other jobs go before getting rejected. I guess that only applies to when applying independently and not to the job fairs, but good advice nonetheless.

I don't really want to say too much about other posters on this forum as it has been discussed to death, and usually focusing on the reliability of information presented by Psyguy. In general though, I find the forum a very informative place and I feel that most people generally only comment on things that they have genuine experience about. The amount of detail gone into a post often gives some indication of the authenticity of the experience/knowledge source. But, that's why it's great when you get 2 or 3 posters chippng in with information.

Just as when you read the ISR reviews you have to work out who has a problem, and who is the problem, with the forum too you work out what's right and what seems a bit far fetched. As I said though, I've found a lot of the responses on here to be seemingly well founded. I just don't see his being a forum with a lot people are motivate to post a load of false information (though they clearly do exist).

The recent post from Shadowjack about the Bangkok fair was one of the most informative posts I've read.