Cairo vs Bankgok Salaries

IAMBOG

Cairo vs Bankgok Salaries

Post by IAMBOG »

We're in Cairo and thinking about moving to Bangkok. A school in Bangkok has asked for our references, so I just want to do a bit of a comparison.

The package is almost identical to the one we currently have in Cairo, right down to the salary. My thinking is, the money would go further in Thailand, if for no other reason than holidays in Southeast Asia would be a lot cheaper, given airlines like AirAsia and others (among other things). Accommodation in Bangkok seems cheaper than Cairo too and better quality.

Anybody lived in both care to do a comparison?
Last edited by IAMBOG on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

I have a friend who did both, one right after another. She said at the time, things were going further - especially with fresh food. She also said it was easier to leave the city and hit the beach - because the infrastructure was there - reliable and cheap. (Not always hopping on a plane to Dahab). However, she had to leave due to flooding.

Wish I had more.....
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

That was my thinking. If you don't want to fly, options are fairly limited from Cairo. We have two kids in tow, and we've done trips into the desert, but there is a limit to what you can do with young ones. From Bangkok the beaches are fairly close and accessible and elephant riding and child friendly activities seem to be more abundant in Thailand.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

If you don't me asking, are you looking at the canadian schools there? My friend did one of them so that is my baseline.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Does the school begin with a B or an L?
Last edited by IAMBOG on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

[quote="IAMBOG"]Does the school begin with a B or an L?[/quote]

B:)
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Pretty sure I know who your friend is, although we've never met.
Last edited by IAMBOG on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

Small world teaching is.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

So were you at the same school as her in Cairo? That's where I am.
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

Love it!

Yes - there for a brief time - liked the experience of going abroad so dying to do it again! I sent her an email asking about the school as it was on my radar as well and havent asked her about it in awhile.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Having done both a lot of that depends on you. Cairo's lifestyle makes it a lot easier to save money as their just isnt the opportunity to spend money on a continual daily basis. Sure you can splurge ona shopping trip and drop serious coin anywhere, but Bangkok makes it REALLY easy to spend coin like it was water cupped in your hands. You will save on travel from the sounds of your typical plans, but you may just as easily find yourself without any travel money as you indulge in Bangkok on a daily basis.
Im not married and dont have kids, so for a single guy Bangkok is A LOT more expensive a city the Cairo because a single guy has a greater demand on his bank account in a happy, happy fun place like BKK
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Thank you both, you are helping to confirm what I already thought.

All other comments gratefully received.