Nassau, Bahamas

yolo

Nassau, Bahamas

Post by yolo »

Wondering if anyone had any feedback about either of the two international schools in Nassau or living in the Bahamas in general. I'm interesting in hearing about public transportation (do you need a car?), safety and the cost of living- I know it's high (rent, epecially) but am wondering if the teacher's salary there affords a reasonable lifestyle.

Any info greatly appreciated.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not the paradise it sounds like. Costs are very high and you end up living pay check to paycheck.
Whatnow

Post by Whatnow »

Living in Nassau is very, very expensive. You would definitely need a car. Rent will run high and you are unlikely to be able to afford to live on the beach. Travel within and out of the country is expensive, as is food and eating out. One school offers a housing allowance (LCIS) but the school itself is quite isolated in a gated community at the west end of the island. The other school (SAS) does not offer housing and its student population is mostly Bahamian (not that it matters, but it doesn't really feel like an international school). Crime has risen quite a bit in the last few years, both violent and petty. Teaching loads at both schools are quite heavy, although the classes at LCIS are smaller. Parents at both have a strong voice, especially at the Primary level. The weather is very nice and the water and beaches some of the most beautiful in the world, but it is not an easy place to live, especially on a teacher's salary. Read the reviews; these will give you a good idea.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I agree with Whatnow. You will need a car in Nassau. Buses don't go to many areas and they stop running about 7pm.

It is an expensive island and the salaries in SAS and Queens which I think are the ones advertising aren't that good. If you are single it will be hard.

If you worked at Lyford Cay then you get a housing allowance on top of your salary which was $1000 a month the last time I heard so the money ended up being pretty good. Most teachers from Lyford Cay rent small apartments on the beach, outside the gated community. These can range from studios to bigger, for what they were they weren't value for money but they were okay. I didn't hear people complain about them. They better value than the places in the East where SAS and Queens are. If you did live out that side it would be about 30min drive against traffic to work.

I had single friends who worked as SAS and although they had complained about money being tight, nearly all of them said they did save a bit in the end.