Should we take job? opinions?

Redvaldo

Should we take job? opinions?

Post by Redvaldo »

Hey, myself and partner have been offered job in 2 schools in abu dhabi!
accom,insurance,2 flights,utilities all included in both schools. we have never taught abroad. we have been offered 32,000 aed which is about 5400 pounds a month between us. What u think
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Go for it! That's a solid offer. AD can be a great springboard for Tier 1 schools in Asia and Europe.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

16 k is a good salary, even though there are a few schools that pay more than that. Where is your accommodation?
chuck

Abu Dhabi

Post by chuck »

Good deal, take it....
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I see you say, "2 schools". Do your research carefully. Look at things like location (there is Abu Dhabi, and then there are other towns and villages in Abu Dhabi Emirate. If it is Glenelg, it sounds like they have turned around a bit. 16000 AED a month is decent.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

what other schools pay more...any names?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt take it. its an average salary, and its in the ME. Its still really eary in fair recruitment, dont take the low hanging fruit just yet. Unless you really want to go to the ME, or its August and there isnt anything else available i wouldnt take an ME position.
Redvaldo

Re: Reply

Post by Redvaldo »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I wouldnt take it. its an average salary, and its in the ME. Its still really eary in fair recruitment, dont take the low hanging fruit just yet. Unless you really want to go to the ME, or its August and there isnt anything else available i wouldnt take an ME position.[/quote]

from the feedback we have from search associates..which isnt much as we have had no contact from the many schools we've applied to, even though we plan go to fair,bit disspirited and unsure if we'd get better...?
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

Is each school offering more or less the same salary/benefits?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Redvaldo

Your associate gets paid their $1500 no matter which school offer you accept, a rat hole third tier school in the ME or a 1st tier position in Europe. The sooner your placed the sooner they get paid. The longer you hold out, the longer they have to wait for their money, and the longer they have to wait to fill your spot in their stable with a new candidate, and so on and so on.

Wait until the fair, seriously there will be positions in the ME all year round, you go to the Bethesda fair and its mostly ME and some SCA schools.
sid

Post by sid »

It's a good offer. If you like the school and location, take it.
If you're a super strong couple, you can probably find better. That's if you have previous international experience, PYP/MYP/DP experience, lots of years under your belt, proven track record with different curricula, schools, clientele.
If you're newer to this game, take it. It's a good start.
Kby

Post by Kby »

That is an EXCELLENT offer in AD and it will be hard to beat. ACS is the "top" school in AD and they post their benefits including salary scale on their website. 16,000 AED is the top and the max out for most schools here besides ADEC. Go for it! AD is a lovely place, not to expensive and a hour away from Dubai!
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

ACS, British School of Al Khubairat, British Int School (Nord Anglia, not 100% sure that they pay more but there abouts), Brighton College all pay more for someone with more than 7 years experience. BSAK salary scale on the website as well. I assume you are talking about Aldar academies.
16 k is not the top of the pay scale in at least 2 of the mentioned schools.
inman

Post by inman »

Having lived in Abu Dhabi for a years before, I can tell you that that's a good offer. However, if one of those is ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) then beware that it might not what you think. If it's directly from an international school then I'd go for it. You can have a really good quality of life in Abu Dhabi for that. If you don't have much international school experience then you'll struggle to do better than that in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. Good luck.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

[quote="inman"]Having lived in Abu Dhabi for a years before, I can tell you that that's a good offer. However, if one of those is ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) then beware that it might not what you think. If it's directly from an international school then I'd go for it. You can have a really good quality of life in Abu Dhabi for that. If you don't have much international school experience then you'll struggle to do better than that in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. Good luck.[/quote]

One is adec. Should I be very worried??