one year contract at UNI

giovanni

one year contract at UNI

Post by giovanni »

Hi

I'm considering going to the UNI job fair- I have to decide soon. I have 3 years experience, an M. Ed in TESL, and I'm certified in ESL, English, and biology. I've taught English/language arts and biology to English language learners for 3 years

1. I've only worked with struggling students- ELLs- does this affect my chances of getting in the top tier schools? It's a far cry from IB/AP programs

2. Are there 1 year contracts available or all 2 year?

3. Any general advice for UNI job fair? It sounds like a madhouse v. intimidating. Should I just forgo the 10 hour drive one way/~$700 investment and apply from home? You'd think with Skype etc job fairs would become obsolete

Thanks!
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

1. Even top tier school often have ELL departments

2.Most contracts are two years-- I have only heard of one year intern contracts.

3.Although Skype is becoming more popular, fairs are still the best way to get a job, particularly if you are new to IS teaching.
giovanni

Post by giovanni »

thank you gr8teach!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

EAL exists at some level in every school. What ISs look for is teachers who can approach EAL from an Academic perspective not just as a foreign language. The vast majority of ISs have EAL departments,

Some schools offer one year contracts most of them are in the ME and a few in Asia. They are standard for short term cover hires and internship contracts.

Job Fairs may becoming obsolete but recruiters are still pretty much an old boys club, and they have traditions. Job fairs arent about finding out if your a good teacher, they already know that. Job fairs are about finding out if you will fit in and they like you. Skype is great but you just dont get the same amount of body language and non verbals as you do in person. There is a whole science and field on the meaning in a hand shake. About half the attendees at a job fair get an offer at the fair with another 30% after the fair.
giovanni

Post by giovanni »

I think I'm going to pass on the fair and try to forge my own path- I'm preparing a portfolio cover letter resume letters of rec etc. and I'll contact some of the schools who went to AASSA and UNI (I have my heart set on a Central American or South American school) and maybe I'll get some offers that way after the fairs. Also toying with the idea of getting a math cert added to increase my competitiveness.

I'm also planning on going down to South America to travel so maybe an opportunity will present itself there... or maybe I'll win the metaphorical lottery and DoDDS will pan out!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

1. Even rich schools have struggling students, whether they like to admit it or not.

2. Mostly 2 years.

3. I went to UNI and it was professional, lots of job opportunities, lots of actual hiring being done, plenty of central , South, and Mexican schools there, and a really worthwhile experience. Definitely worth going. As has been mentioned before, 700 bucks is small potatoes when you consider how important the activity is and it's the next year+ of your life.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I plan on going to the UNI Fair next year.

How much should I expect to spend not including the flights?

I plan to stay in a cheap hotel or maybe even couch surf. Want to keep my expenses as minimal as possible.