What if I don't want to interview?

pencil

What if I don't want to interview?

Post by pencil »

I've been reading some posts on what to expect at the fairs, but I have a question that I'd like some advise on.

As I understand it, it is not unusual for teacher candidates to find yellow slips in their folders from schools requesting to schedule an interview. But what if I decide, for whatever reason, that I am not interested in interviewing with that school. What is the courteous thing to do? I know I just wouldn't have to show up in their line, but should I write a note back to them and let them know I'm not interested? What is a nice way to say, "Thanks, but no thanks"?
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

We have just either gone and handed the slip in at the table after we have seen all the schools we are interested in or we have just put a 'no thanks' in their pigeon hole.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Wow! As this is my first fair, I have absolutely no clue what to expect regarding slips in my mailbox/file... let alone so many that I would turn schools down!

Crossing my fingers....
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Well, it isn't a matter of so many offers for interviews that you turn some down. Last time I got a request for an interview with a school in Islamabad. I have heard that the school is very good but that is not somewhere I would go.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

That would make sense. Mrs. Shadowjack says go nowhere that people are shooting each other!
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I write a note saying thank you so much for considering me for this position but this is not a appropriate fit for my family at this time. Best wishes. Place it in the school's file.

I think it's important to respond to anyone who reaches out to you. You never know what will happen down the line. It's just a courtesy to let them know not to expect you so they can cross you off and move on to the next candidate.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Send them an email, thank you for the invitation but its not the right [time, place, etc] and copy the email to your associate. A note in the box would work too, but its harder for a school to follow up with you (and in that case they wont) and some recruiters take rejection personally (egos and all).

Some schools get "frustrated" at the fair because no one wants to interview with them and a lower tier school looking for a math or science teacher can get really frustrated, and at times they will go to an associate and basically 1) Complain and 2) Ask for leads. Keeping your associate in the loop keeps them from dropping your name again and if your name is brought up your associate can smooth over the rejection for you.
overseasvet2

turning down interview invites

Post by overseasvet2 »

We have approached this in a couple of ways. If it is a school we have not previously considered, we go ahead with the interview and at the very least, consider it practice. IF you make a good impression, you never know where that head will wind up next.

We have always gotten back to the schools. Mostly in writing but as much as possible, face to face. At one fair we waited until lines had depleted and we were done with our sign up and then went up to the recruiters and said "thanks, but no thanks". It helped that we had an offer at a great school so that was our "out".
pencil

Post by pencil »

Thank you everyone! Great suggestions. It is not about having too many slips, it is about making a choice that works with my family. I want to leave a good impression regardless if I'm interested in that particular school. As mentioned, you never know where that Head will wind up. Also great idea to email my "Thanks, but no thanks" and copy my associate.