GEMS American Academy, Abu Dhabi

alecsmario

GEMS American Academy, Abu Dhabi

Post by alecsmario »

Hello,

I am interested in any information about this school, beside what is on their website and what is on Search. Recently they contacted me regarding a job they are having and i would like more info about the school before i would take a decission.
I would appreciate an inside oppinion if someone can provide it.

Thanks
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Never worked there but I know people who had. They didn't have tons of negatives, but moved on and didn't look back, apparently. There wasn't any "Oh, what a fantastic school."

It seems well-resourced and I think the present superintendent is better regarded than the previous one. It is Dubai, so the weather is generally warm all year round, but humid in the spring/summer/fall.

Great transportation links to all over the world via Emirates.

For profit school, so money counts, but it is a BIG for profit school, so money is there.

If you are looking for a starter school or a place where you can work, then move to the next level up, this might not be too bad.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

I've visited the school. Looks nice enough.

BTW, Ian Deakin (the head of school) just left to work at another school in the UAE. Someone new is starting this week. Not sure what's up with that.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

"It is Dubai....."

The poster was asking about GEMS Abu Dhabi, not Dubai. While the two cities/emirates may be close enough in weather and culture, I've heard that the schools are different. The the OP, I'd just suggest making sure that you're getting information about the correct GEMS as you ask around. :-)
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

[quote="justlooking"]I've visited the school. Looks nice enough.

BTW, Ian Deakin (the head of school) just left to work at another school in the UAE. Someone new is starting this week. Not sure what's up with that.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
How do you know that Ian Deakin is not there anymore? are you working at GAA or you were just visiting the school?
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

I visited right before the holidays and he told me it was his last day in the school. Although now that I think of it, he did say he was going to Bangkok to recruit for GAA but that the new guy would start right away.
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

i am asking this, because the emails that i've had so far were from him and the HR lady, and all the conversation was with him, this is why i was a little bit surprised about this move. Also the next steps were to his e-mail address.
I hope that he will finish the recruitment for this year...at least, coz he seemed interested about my application.

What can you tell me about the guy? is he ok to work with?

Thanks
gus

Post by gus »

I didn't know Ian was leaving but if he is I would guess it would be to fill an opening at one of the GEMS schools in Dubai as his wife teaches at Dubai American Academy, his daughters go to school there and he has been commuting. I have worked with Ian and Alison (his wife) through different events in the UAE and they are both great to work with and have good reputations.

GEMS is a solid organization with a good reputation in this part of the world. Probably one of the best proprietary school around here. Depends what you are looking for...kids are solid with varied backgrounds, well resourced, good teachers, with a decent package. If you are looking to get to a top not-for-profit school and don't have the international experience, this is a good place to get it. If you are just looking for a nice, well rounded international experience, this is a good place.

GAA is a newer school (open 2 years) so only up to grade 10 but enrollment is good and adding at least grade 11 (maybe grade 12) next year. Would say probably the 2nd best school in Abu Dhabi right now (American or IB curriculum) as it has more upside than Raha and AISA.
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

i have just found another 2 jobs at gems...wellington dubai this time...i think i will pursue with those also...maybe i get lucky...or should i e-mail Ian and tell him that i am applying for hese also...in case he will be at this one :)?
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Ian Deakin has started his new position in Dubai with GEMS. He will be overseeing the opening of 2 new GEMS Schools in the Dubai/AD area. The new principal is now in place.

My wife and I have offered positions at GAA Abu Dhabi and I have been reading the posts on the forum about AD and the school.

If anyone can confirm if they currently have a pay freeze on that would be great and if anyone ACTUALLY works at or personally knows the school I would love to hear from you.

In addition, has anyojne got any helper information? Is it easy to get a helper? Can we try to bring over our current helper (we live in HK and our helper is from the Philipinnes)? How much does a full time live in helper cost in AED? Can helpers live out and whats the situation with this?

Finally, can anyone comment on the Al Reef 2 bed villa's as thats where we might be living.

Many thanks
gus

Post by gus »

Everyone here with kids have Nannie from Philippines. Easy to do and easy to bring with you if you jump through the right hoops.

Al Reef is further from Abu Dhabi than the school. This is a developing area but not much out there right now.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Can you give me an idea of much a helper/nanny costs per month?
gus

Post by gus »

Good live-in will cost around 2000 dirhams per month and you pay visa costs. Not sure about live-out that you don't sponsor.
Bodisalpha

Post by Bodisalpha »

Much appreciated Gus. Thank you.
beatrice

Re: GEMS American Academy, Abu Dhabi

Post by beatrice »

So, what is the top school in Abu Dhabi, preferably non-UK? I'm looking to move there next year & I don't want to end up in a lousy contract.