Schools in Bangkok

Helen Back

Schools in Bangkok

Post by Helen Back »

My partner and I are both primary, North American trained, with two years experience each (all of it overseas).

We're looking at Bangkok and wondering what schools we would have a shot at. We have a daughter who would need to attend primary, so would prefer a school with at least a proportion of expats / English first language speakers.

Too much to ask? Impossible?
Last edited by Helen Back on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
pacificsurf619

Post by pacificsurf619 »

Its definitely possible.

I would also look at Chiang Mai International Schools. There are about 4 of them that all pay in the range of 50-60K baht a month (1800-2100 USD Month) and Chiang Mai is a very family friendly big town in the North.

There is also Prem International School in Mae Rim (North of Chiang Mai 20 minutes) and they pay very well, full IB. It would always be worth it to apply!

Best of luck!
inman

Post by inman »

There are loads of schools in Bangkok but only really the top ones that have a lot of expat children. With 2 years experience it might be difficult to get the attention of the better schools, but it's certainly worth a shot. I guess the best place to start though would be the American Curriculum schools. Ruamrudee might not be a bad option, or maybe take a look at the American School of Bangkok.

Chiang Mai and Phuket would be worth looking at due to the high expat populations, and therefore more expat children. Chiang Mai especially seems to be nice for families and with 2 salaries you could have a very good quality of life there. Check out American Pacific International School and Lanna International School.

All the best,

Inman
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

Thanks

What schools are in Phuket? The Prep school and the Brit school, is that it?
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Helen,

I would say that only ISB, Patana and NIST would fit the bill of having a large proportion of native English speakers. Perhaps Ruamrudee as well? Not sure about that one.

This is not to say there aren't other good schools in BKK for the two of you, but if your first priority is large proportion of native English speakers (especially in Primary), I'd stick with ISB, Patana and NIST.

Other posters, please feel free to disagree, as I only taught at another of the "good" schools I've mentioned.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

It's not an absolute that there must be an English native speaking population, but it would be nice. Our daughter is currently in a local international and does very well there. We just feel having a few native speakers around would ease her in to a new school. As long as she gets a good education and is happy, that's the main thing. Given that, are there any other schools we should apply to?

Thanks again
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

In that case, I would add Harrow, Shrewsbury, and possibly Regents. There are a lot of "good" schools, but maybe start with those, though Shrewsbury and possibly Harrow will be a bit more "British", if that matters to you.