Shanghai United International School

Helen Back

Shanghai United International School

Post by Helen Back »

Just wondering what this school is like. What is the percentage of 'real' expats? How is the salary / package (I have two year experience, both international)? It seems to be a combination of Canadian curriculum and PYP.

PsyGuy, please don't reply. No offense, I just want to keep the thread on track.
Fstop

Post by Fstop »

Lower 2nd-tier school I think, at least from the reviews and the package. I remember thinking the salary was a bit on the low side, especially for Shanghai.
inman

Post by inman »

I looked at the school myself. The reviews are really off putting, however, I don't think it would be too bad for someone early in their career and would maybe be a good way to get a couple years IB experience on your résumé before moving on to something better. Unfortunately, so many IB schools say that they require 2 years IB experience, but it's very hard to get those first 2 years, so if you're looking at IB in future then I guess this could be 1 option to get you started.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its more a high tier 3 school. Lot of management and admin problems. Teachers complain regularly about getting nickel and dimed over ever changing policies. The compensation package is REALLY on the low side given the cost of living in Shanghai.

If you were really on the IB track and didnt have other options for IB experience this could be an OK school to get it and move on. At least your in a very accessible and cosmopolitan city.