Paperwork to take to Cambridge

pencil

Paperwork to take to Cambridge

Post by pencil »

I will begin my international teaching career with the 2013-14 school year. I will be attending SA Cambridge and would like input on what paperwork to have with me. Would you mind double checking this list?

1) "colorful" and creative resume. This is to hand to recruiter/interviewer at front of line

2) traditional B&W CV. This is to attach to "colorful" cover letter and slip into school folders or under hotel doors. Should this be stapled or housed in an envelope?

3) access to digital photos of me in the classroom or a short video, via blog or laptop files

4) "colorful" cover letter. This to attach to traditional CV and slip into school's folders. How do you "generically" address it at the top where the name and address is? Should/can this include a photo?

5) Separate, individual photo (?) Is this necessary if my photo is on my "colorful" resume and "colorful" cover letter?

6) copies of passport, teaching certificate, diploma, birth certificate, transcripts (Do I need to carry Official copies of transcripts?)

7) 25 copies of all the above

8) Do I also need to carry CDs to distribute with all the above on it?

9) Big, white envelopes to house all the above.

What else am I missing?
pencil

Post by pencil »

Oh, and also copies of letters of recommendation.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Describe this colorful resume? I ask because really anything thats going from you to a recruiter should really be the best presentation you can make. I would not mix quality between cover letter and resume. Having a really nice cover letter followed by a cheap looking resume is going to make a bad impression in comparison of the two.
I would paperclip the cover letter and resume together (if your resume is more then a page staple your resume together).
A cover letter is little more then wrapping paper, it should look nice and pretty but they dont get read beyond determining what position it is your applying for. There just isnt time to read you saying what a great teacher you are. recruiters need to lay out the resumes and rank order them for each vaccancy and they need to do it quickly. Having a useless piece of paper covering up the resume usually means its going to get removed and put in a separate pile, if its stapled that means getting ripped from your resume packet.

If your going to use an envelope use a full size envelop so you dont have to fold the resume (which also is harder to slide under doors). Personally I use letter size white envelops with the closures flap cut off to form more of a packet, no flap to get in the way or glued flap to wrestle with. It also conceals your resume from others who may be lingering around the school drop boxes. Its not unheard of for a rival teacher to remove a competitors resume and application from their box. Report covers dont give enough sturdiness. I know one candidate who just picked up a bunch of FedEx envelopes and used those (I got one).

Its good to have digital files of everything you need on a flash drive or laptop. Id also burn the documents to a handful of recordable CDs if you dont have a portfolio. A school isnt going to want to spend valuable F2F interview time watching a video, so giving them access to it beforehand is an advantage.

Most people dont use a cover letter at the fair. Your standing in line for signup, you tell them in person the position your interested in. When applying to a school through its mail box ive seen a lot when it comes to a cover letter. Many people just print a custom B&W cover useing the Search laser printers. Some people just write in the header of their resume the position. Some attach a brief note. The best ive seen involve preparing colored personal letterhead on good paper and then printing using the Search printers/laptops the "body" of the cover letter personalized to each position and school your applying to.

You can print a small photo in the corner of your resume. Its common in about half the resumes. The problem with the other half is that good resume paper doesnt make photos look very good, and many people use colored resume paper or overly textured (such as linen) paper, which also doesnt make a photo look good. In the half that do use photos, about 20% of those attach an actual photo to the application. This is only when your dropping your resume off with out F2F contact. I advise against photos at fairs, the whole purpose is to persuade the recruiter to meet you in person anyway.
I have had candidates print their resume on the back of an 8x10 Glossy photo of them self (one even autographed the photo with a sharpie).

It wouldnt hurt to bring official copies of your transcript, sometimes a recruiter will use the "we have to wait for official copies to offer a contract" which may be an attempt by them to get a little more time to find someone else (which given mailing time could get them through the next fair). You need only bring one or two copies though, basically only the school your signing a contract with needs them.

I would also scan your drivers license (some schools want 2 forms of ID) and social security national ID card (some american and other national schools pay into the home countries retirement/pension scheme). If your married you should also have scanned copies of your marriage certificate and your dependent childrens birth certificates.
I would also bring the originals of these documents (or in the future apostiled copies) of your original documents. of course your bringing your passport to travel out of country, but if your going to a home fair you should bring your passport as well. The most important is your diploma and teaching certificate as many countries either need to verify the original by sight or go through the lengthy verification process later.

Its probably too late but in the future an apostiled criminal background check, preferably an FBI or national judicial authority, or in absence of that a state background check.
pencil

Post by pencil »

Dear Psy,
I respect your opinion and appreciate your time with responses.

I continue to have a bit of confusion of when to use the "colorful/bullet-point/photo" resume and when to use the more traditional CV.

1) I've read old posts about the importance of taking a "catch-recruiter's-attention/colorful/creative" resume with you to the fair. These have been described in many ways, such as "pink", "ticket for one great teacher", "cheesy", etc. In other words, not your typical, professional black and white resume. I've designed a classy, colorful, attention-getting resume, that has photos of me working alongside my students in the classroom, as well as, a small, individual photo of me. Also included is easy-to-read qualifications and experience. This is one sheet of paper, front and back. It is attention-getting but very professional looking.

2) I also have a three (single-pages) CV. Although I've never taught overseas, I have 12 years of educational experience, have been professionally published numerous times, etc. All of this information is note worthy for recruiters and gives a fuller picture of who I am and what I'm capable of, but it is traditionally designed and black and white. Currently I have a small, black and white photo of me in top corner.

Never having been to a Fair before, I want to be as organized as possible when I arrive. I loved your idea about cutting off the closure flap on a full size envelope. I will do that! I want to present a good representation of myself even from the choice of the envelope, thus will probably not use FedEx envelopes, but, hey, at least those were attention getting!

I'm glad to know about the Search printers that are available. I didn't know to expect a printer station. I like the idea of having personal letterhead already printed and then using that paper to send through the Search printers with the "body" of the cover letter, personalized to the specific position and school. I will definitely do that!! These are set up "letter size", not A4...right?

I feel that I understand the paperwork to have but I continue to be confused about when to distribute the "colorful" resume, the traditional CV and the cover letter/blank header sheet.

Please help me understand if I have this correct...

Scenario 1:
I don't have a pre-arranged interview set up with a particular school, but I want them to notice me. I paper clip a cover sheet to my "colorful" resume and put that inside the full size envelope and put that in the school's mailbox or slide it under their hotel door, or have this "packet" available for chance meetings in elevators, bars or restaurants. When/if they are interested in a F2F, I can then hand over my more traditional CV, along with any other paperwork they might request.

Scenario 2:
I'm standing in line without a slip that gets me to the front of the line. It is finally my turn and I hand over one of these packets, described above, as I am quickly selling myself to the gatekeeper. If I do a good job and they invite me to a F2F, I then hand over my more traditional CV.

Scenario 3:
Based on "Scenario 1", I have obtained a slip in my mailbox inviting me to a F2F interview. They already have my "colorful resume" b/c I had a beer with them the night before down at the bar. So, with my slip, I slide to the front of the line, and then sit down to a F2F and hand over my traditional CV.

Thank you for your time...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Oh you have an Ichiro. An Ichioo or alternate resume is a marketing tool used by a job candidate to distinguish themselves from other candidates.
If you have an Ichiro you dont use a cover letter at all, why would you cover up a tool designed to get a recruiters attention with a dull boring sheet of paper (cover letter)? You need to think of your Ichiro as a brochure, flyer, business card, etc, it needs to stand on it own.

The printers at the BKK fair (and those outside the USA) use A4 paper, but they will print to US letter paper if bringing your own letterhead, just change the page setup on the computer (and be sure to change it back when done).

If your going with an Ichiro you want to use it as your "first" touch or contact with a recruiter, it should be the first thing they see about you. You keep the more traditional and complete resume for followup and when your already in an interview. Your really forgetting that recruiters will use and access your Search profile and they will print it out. So theres is only 2 times your really going to need a traditional resume at the fair if your using an Ichiro

1) Your at signup given the recruiter your Ichiro and they ask for a resume, thats when you give them your formal resume.

2) Your at an interview already and want a recruiter too see your complete qualification outside your Search profile, and if you have more then one recruiter at your interview.

You want to otherwise use your Ichiro in any other first contact scenario. You slide it under their door, drop it in their folder, etc.

Cover letters just arent used much at the fair, and when they are its someone with a B&W resume on copy paper writing from a cover letter template and printing in B&W. Its usually the sign of an inexperienced teacher who has only one application tool in their tool box.

In regard to your scenarios:

Scenario 1) You dont paperclip a cover letter to an Ichiro. Your Ichiro needs to stand on its own and motivate a recruiter to look up your Search profile and then contact you for an interview. If you want to go with the formal resume under the door or in the box then attach a cover letter if you want.

Scenario 2) You dont hand over a packet, thats too much for whats going to be 30 seconds to a minute. You walk up shake their hand, and hand them your Ichiro and introduce yourself, and identify the position your interested and in a sentence state how you could help them. Meanwhile the recruiter should have reviewed your Ichiro, and if they are interested ask for a formal resume or asked when your available to schedule an interview. Thats all the time you have. Paging through a 3 page resume and cover letter in that time isnt productive.
The focus needs to be on you as a person, not your qualifications. Otherwise why did you come to the fair, the schools can access your resume and qualifications online, they go to fairs to meet the people, and most recruiters dont want to and dont have to spend the short amount of time at a fair reading.

Scenario 3) When you go to the interview bring your formal resume thats the place for it.

Lastly, you should bring or prepare some thank you notes for schools you interview with. A cheap pack of 10 thank you notes from Walmart is fine, or you can prepare your own. This si a time a hand written note is the way to go as opposed to an email note.
pencil

Post by pencil »

Psy,
Thank you so much. I feel like I have clearly communicated! Yes, an Ichiro! A few more questions. . . thanks in advance for your patience!

Scenario 1:
No cover letter on the Ichiro, but still put Ichiro in a full size envelope? Perhaps design the envelope to coordinate with the Ichiro? Use envelope when sliding under door, or putting in schools' folders, so others don't see it?

Thank you notes:
So glad you said this.
After the interview, do I actually mail the handwritten thank you? Or put it in their folder, slide under their door or what?
txteach

Post by txteach »

What is an "Ichiro"? Is that the correct spelling?
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

There used to be a contributor on this forum called Ichiro; it's named after him (her?). It refers to an eye-catching gimmick used to get recruiters' attention at fairs, like a dollar bill with your face on it that says "Redeem for one great teacher," or a hot pink resume with pictures of your students doing awesome things.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Comes from this thread called "Obtaining an interview at the fair":

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... sc&start=0
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

***Special thank you to the Honorary Forum Historian-Bookshelfamy***

@txteach

Yes thats the correct spelling "Ichiro". As Amy replied its an "alternative" or marketing (gimmick works) application device (resume works) thats designed to show your creativity and capture a recruiters attention by distinguishing the applicant from all the standard/typical resumes. Ive seen all types, from colored and scented paper, CDs, coupons, tickets, flyers, brochures, USB drives, Business cards, even a full blown mock magazine.

@pencil

Scenario 1: If your handing an Ichiro to a recruiter dont use an envelope. It wastes valuable seconds to take it out of the envelope if your at signup.
Id use an envelope when putting it into a recruiters mailbox. If someone sees your cool Ichiro in a box it wouldnt be unheard of for someone else to remove it.
Depending on what an Ichiro is could go either way on the envelope. Yours sounds a lot like a flyer, and you may not be able to get it under the door without an envelope, and you wouldnt want someone stepping on it when they walked it, so for "ME" id put it in an envelope.
I like the color coordinated envelope idea, but from my experience large envelops like that dont feed well through printers, youd need a pass through printer or copier to keep the envelope looking neat.

You put the hand written thank you note in the schools mail box. The idea is to leave with a contract, and by the time the school got it back home, they are most likely to have already offered someone a contract.

One last thing, Ichiros dont always work. Some recruiters dont like them, they want formal traditional applications. and no matter how great your Ichiro is, sometimes there is someone who is just a better fit.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Ha ha! You're quite welcome. Anyone looking for a good librarian? :)
pencil

Post by pencil »

Thanks to all! Great advise.