The Regents School, Bangkok

frees1spirit

The Regents School, Bangkok

Post by frees1spirit »

Any information on this school?

I know it isn't top tier which is fine by me but is it an okay place to be? Are the teachers happy?

It isn't with Search so haven't been able to find the salary scale. Does anyone have any idea about pay and benefits?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

The Bangkok school is considered the more desirable school by most, but I'm not sure if that is due to the recent Nord Anglia take over or just because Pattaya isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Package info as of Jan 2012:

Now to the OVERSEAS HIRE package. If you are appointed, then you will initially be offered a two-year contract that could be renewed annually thereafter. This includes return economy air fare at the start and end of the initial two years (an annual return thereafter), free accommodation on-campus OR an accommodation allowance, salary (paid in Thai baht) linked to qualifications and experience, a variable devaluation allowance linked to the baht/pound exchange rate amounting to about an extra 15 to 20% for British and Australian nationals, work visas provided and a resettlement allowance of up to 15,000 baht per teacher upon production of receipts and finally medical insurance (not including dental). In addition, a free flight for a teacher’s spouse and for one child will be provided. We welcome families and therefore provide free education for all children in Bangkok and for two children under 8 years of age who live on-campus in Pattaya; if children are over 8 then they will still receive free education provided they participate fully in the Boarding and extra-curricular programmes. A married teaching couple both employed by the school and living in Bangkok or living on-campus in Pattaya would therefore receive free education and flights for two children. The Bangkok accommodation allowance varies between 17,000 per month for a single teacher to 35,000 for a married teaching couple with 2 children; it is slightly less for Pattaya. At this stage, I cannot provide you with the salary scale but I can indicate that a qualified teacher with a degree, PGCE and 8 years experience would receive a basic monthly salary of just over 79,000 baht with the devaluation allowance taking the total to over 95,000 baht per month. Thai tax is payable and this varies according to individual circumstances but a rough figure would be between 14% and 20% of your salary. So, to finalise my example, the basic monthly salary inclusive of devaluation would be about 95,000 baht LESS Thai tax of about 15,000 leaving us with a net salary of 80,000 baht to which one would add the housing allowance. A responsibility allowance might also be applied.

I spoke with a BKK teacher a few months ago at a IB regional workshop, was told the owner of the BKK school is very hands on and one of the Pattaya teachers had had to leave that year after being put in a coma (attacked by a Pattaya expat over a driving dispute). Sounded rather scary.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

The salary seems low to me for 8 years experience. The housing seems low too.

Was the person you spoke to at the workshop okay with the school?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Yes they were happy with the school but were not going to stick around after their initial contract expired, their subject is one of those currently being advertised so maybe they are staying true to their word.

If you are looking for a tier-two school in Bangkok then there seems no reason to not consider Regents. The package is low but Thailand still has a relatively low cost of living.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

I am in a school which pays very well at the moment so it is sometimes hard for me to figure out if a salary is good or not. They all look kinda small, but Thailand is cheaper than where I am now so thanks for reminding me of that.
A tier 2 school is exactly what I am looking for so I will go for it.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

That teacher had to be evacuated back to England. His family and friends had to raise the cash to foot the bill as the school insurance didn't cover all the costs.

The housing allowance isn't great but better than some schools offer I guess. A decent 2 bed condo will set you back around 25-30,000bht in BKK. If you'd be happy in a small 1 bed/studio type then that would cover it.

I don't have any specifics regarding the status/atmosphere of the school but rumours are that it may have gone downhill a bit over the past few years.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

Wow, that's interesting to know, though I wouldn't really have worried about that for Thailand or any place that the medical facilities were good. But yes, being put in a coma is a different thing all together, not something I would have thought about.

Can 2 people without kids save on the salary they offer?

What are bills like? Water, electricity?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Yes you could save a little, although the amount will vary depending on how much you want to travel around whilst there and how 'western' is your lifestyle.

The food, bars and shopping are numerous in Bangkok, money goes easily if you are not careful.

Many ESL teachers in Bangkok consider 40,000 baht to be the minimum for a westerner.

Bills are cheap, although a/c will push up the electricity bills. Water is very cheap $3-4 a month.

I believe the average national salary for Thais is still less than 15,000 baht a month, just to give you some perspective.

Another way to look at it is from this scale: //www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356
Last edited by Mr.Cake on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Reagents is a second tier school, though its falling. The compensation package is just okay, you could do worse, and thee is better. Many ESL teachers in BKK have an average salary of 30K Baht. Of course costs are rising everywhere but Bangkok is still a pretty cheap place to live. The average entry level Thai professional (Entry level, College Graduate) is 14,000 Baht Business profession, and 11,000 Baht Teaching profession.
Here are some cost of living examples for you (values are averages and in USD):

Restaurants:
Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 1.98 $
Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course 19.57 $
Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar 3.91 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 1.96 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 3.26 $
Cappuccino (regular) 1.96 $
Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) 0.49 $
Water (0.33 liter bottle) 0.33 $

Markets:
Milk (regular), 1 liter 1.63 $
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 1.30 $
Rice (1kg) 0.90 $
Eggs (12) 1.79 $
Local Cheese (1kg) 16.31 $
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) 2.89 $
Apples (1kg) 1.98 $
Oranges (1kg) 2.00 $
Tomato (1kg) 1.47 $
Potato (1kg) 1.79 $
Lettuce (1 head) 0.83 $
Water (1.5 liter bottle) 0.49 $
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 19.57 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) 1.63 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 3.10 $
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) 2.66 $

Transportation:
One-way Ticket (Local Transport) 0.65 $
Monthly Pass (Regular Price) 24.47 $
Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 1.14 $
Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 0.16 $
Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) 2.94 $
Gasoline (1 liter) 1.30 $

Utilities (Monthly):
Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment 82.37 $
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile 0.07 $
Internet (Unlimited/ADSL) 20.23 $

Leisure:
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 65.24 $
Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend) 17.94 $
Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat 5.55 $

Clothing And Shoes:
1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar) 72.99 $
1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...) 53.66 $
1 Pair of Nike Shoes 114.17 $
1 Pair of Men Leather Shoes 97.86 $
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

It really depends on your individual circumstances. If only one of you is working then that won't go far at all and you would save very little, if anything. If you have 2 salaries coming in then you will live very well and save some.

(Not sure why Mr. Cake is bringing ESL Teachers AND Thai Nationals into the equation as I assume you are neither?).
PsyGuy

comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I would agree that if youve got two salaries your savings potential lifestyle expectations will be pretty good. If its one salary you will need to choose one of the other (nice lifestyle or savings).

@Yantantether

The reference to nationals and ESL teachers is to give a frame of reference for comparing costs of living and earning/savings potential.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

Thank you. It would be 2 people working at the school if we went there.

This information helps a lot.