what would you do??

anappleaday

what would you do??

Post by anappleaday »

I work at a relatively new IB school - lots of growing pains, a dp coordinator that micromanages, very little common ground as almost all of my colleagues are new to IB (I am an examiner and workshop leader), very little support for PD. While the workplace can be frustrating at times, it is "easy" to live where I am based right now. I am on my second year of teaching at this school and have just sent my letter of intent to return last November. I initially wanted to search for a new job somewhere else, but I like the country enough to stay put another year. I received my contract for next school year and the deadline to return is on the 7th of January. The only reason for me to stay at this school is location (sadly).

Here's the thing... an opportunity to work at a better school in the same region opened up mid-December and I was given an opportunity to interview with the principal. I believe the interview went well (the principal handed me his calling card, sent me an email even before I sent my "thank you for the opportunity to interview" email, indicated that I am a very strong candidate). The principal requested that I inform him if any other developments come up with other schools so that we could set-up a second interview with the school's headmaster through skype during the Search Bangkok fair. I am fortunate to have a couple other schools requesting to interview even if I have decided to pull out of the Search Bangkok fair. Not interested in any of them though because of my desire to stay in the city I am in right now.

I guess my question is obvious.... should I sign the contract at my current school for the sake of security and then break contract if I do get a job offer at the better school? the contract states that if a teacher chooses not to honor the agreement, the teacher pays a certain amount to cover for "damages" (whatever that means). I obviously don't mind paying off the release, but the issue is my current school isn't aware that I have been "sniffing" around. I was really intent on staying at my current school (what's an extra year right??) but I couldn't just give up an amazing opportunity to work at a school that can be considered tier 1 for the region. Is job security more important than job satisfaction?

Another concern is that both schools will be attending the search fair in Bangkok and I would like to avoid the awkward "hey, your teacher is trying to land a job at my school...blah..blah...". Should I just come clean with this other school that I am trying to land a job in? I don't want to appear desperate of course. Besides, I know it isn't 100% sure that I'd get the job at this new school.

Thoughts??

Thank you in advance for your advice.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

What if the shoe were on the other foot? Say your school backed out of your contract a few weeks after settling as they stumbled upon a "better teacher." I think most of us would be pretty pissed off. To me, and this is just me, teachers should honor their word, operate above the table, and treat others the way they like to be treated. That is, after all, what we expect of our students. How can we not expect the same of ourselves?

Disclaimer- if one's current school is not keeping their end of the deal or is overly vengeful then that COULD merit breaking a contract....maybe. Issues like safety or not being paid are obviously huge concerns. If one is willing to return for another year then....you get the idea.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

I'm 100% with pikefish on this. Unless you have a very good reason to break contract - and it doesn't sound like you do- then you should refrain from that scenario.

Yes some schools act without integrity but if teachers are willing to follow suit then they have no cause for complaint when it happens to them. "Do to others as you would have them do to you."

I had a situation last year where a school told me they were just waiting for board approval to offer me a contract. This was after I had to press them for a decision as I had a contract deadline with my current school fast approaching (I informed them of this in the interview and they said they would let me know in the next 2 days). This was 2 weeks after the interview and it subsequently turned out they were just playing me for time as they looked around for someone else, with no regard for my job security at al! And this was a supposedly T1 school. Now ask yourself, how you would feel in that situation? Why? Because that is essentially what you are considering doing to your current school.

My advice is to keep your integrity, dignity and head held high.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont concur with the other responders (did anyone really think I would?)

You are asking the wrong question and looking in the wrong place, but ill get to that in a minute...

First, return emails, business cards, phone calls, messages of reassurance, hand written notes, fruit baskets during holidays, and all the talk and flattery in the world dont mean anything. The only thing that is a strong indication of an offer is a contract. Everything else is fluff. Emails after an interview are as quick and easy to send (even if they are typed and not a cut and paste, or delegated to someone else) as a thank you note and take only minutes to create and cost nothing.
Saying your a strong candidate also means nothing. Everyone they interview is a strong candidate, why would they waste their time on a weak candidate, and if they did why would they so blatantly point it out.

Second, penalty clauses in contracts are virtually unenforceable. What are they going to do if you dont pay? Your breaking contract its not like you can "bribe" them for a positive reference. Even if they gave you one, youd never know what they say behind your back if and when the school calls? I know of no teacher faced with a penalty clause that actually "wrote a check". So why did I use "virtually" because whats likely is your school would offset your bonus or final paycheck with the penalty, effectively making you jump through nearly insurmountable legal hoops to get it back.

Third, dont delusion yourself with clichés such as "if the shoe were on the other foot", if it was the shoes would most likely be much nicer and more expensive. There is not an equal or fair distribution of power in this relationship. They are the school, your the teacher they have the power. No matter how bad a school is or how appalling their action are a school can ALWAYS hire teachers. Its just a question of how much its going to cost them, or how much they have to lower their standards. This is not a fair business relationship, its business, and the only one who is going to protect and advance your business interests is going to be you. Schools and admins will support you only when the direct or peripheral benefits of doing so is in their interests. The time when the costs of having you as a n employee outweigh the current and future benefits is the time you will be shown the door.

Okay so back to what the wrong question your asking and looking for is. The question isnt should you sign a contract and then break it later with your current school, thats tomorrows question, maybe. The question that you should be asking is "why dont you have a contract and offer from your new school before the fair and January 7th". PsyGuy rule 4, "when a school wants you, they want you". What are they missing? Do they need to see you in person to smell your cologne/perfume? Do they need to look at your shoes? No, the problem is that you have confused a school wanting you, with a school not wanting to loose you. If they want you why are they still looking. Its like every guy you read about in every issue of Cosmo, "they arent happy with whats in front of them so they want to play the field a little more because they might miss something better". Please dont be a Cosmo statistic.

If it were me, I would write an email to the school and say you need to know by 2 Jan, 2013 if they would like to extend you an offer of employment. If not forget them and say your sorry but your present commitments make you unavailable. Then sign your current schools contract and handle the issue of breaking contract later. If they follow up with an offer then take the job. Schools will happilly string you along as long as you let them. Dont let yourself be their late night boty call because they couldnt leave the "partie" with anyone better.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I'm also in total agreement with Pikefish; he or she worded it just the way I would have. It may be getting really late, but I would contact the school you're interested in and tell them you have to sign your contract very soon, and is it possible to give you a definite yea or nay before then. If they still won't make up their minds, I think that's a sign for you to stay.
anappleaday

Post by anappleaday »

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts... I do agree that a teacher's word and integrity are important but some schools exploit these unfortunately. I work for a school that has pulled the rug under some teacher's feet....only informing them that they were no longer welcome to work at the school late March of the school year. If the school was fair and held more integrity, then maybe I would not have even thought about breaking contract in the first place. I think we teachers need to look out for ourselves first because not all schools will do that for us. I know that I need to decide based on what I believe is best for me. Even if I know that the school I am in isn't a good fit, I can't just let emotions dictate my decisions... hence seeking your thoughts on the situation (based on very limited information). I do plan on playing it fair by informing the school I interviewed with that I have to make a decision before the 7th of January. If they want me, great. If not, then fine. I was more concerned about appearing desperate by pressing them to make an early decision.

@ Psyguy - thank you for redirecting my perspective. You are right... it was naive of me to think that a school wanted me unless I had a contract in front of me. I interviewed personally with the principal on the last day before all schools went into winter break. He stayed on beyond work hours and yes, he has seen my gorgeous shoes, expensive handbag and smelled my exquisite perfume :) I just thought that since the principal was new to the school, maybe he still had to confer with the school's headmaster. Hence, that's where my hopes were based on.

I agree that it is a business. We teachers hope schools aren't ran like one, but sadly that is not the case.

p.s. psyguy, don't tell me you have time to read Cosmo... ;) great way of getting the message through though
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@anappleaday

Many teachers forget that ISs are business first and schools second. For good schools education is their business, for bad schools their business is education...

I subscribe to a number of magazines (about 6) including Cosmo through my public library back in CA and access them through Zinio on my iPad3 or iPhone5 (I also subscribe to the IHT) and read them when Im waiting on the train, bus, tube, eating out, having a drink, at a meeting, etc. Ive also been learning a new language with the Rosetta Stone mobile app.