San Francisco Fairs

nkraai

San Francisco Fairs

Post by nkraai »

Does having the Search and ISS fairs in SF at the same time make it more attractive to attend the Search SF fair?

Let me explain my predicament. My wife and I are signed up for the Search Boston fair. Last night we e-mailed our dream school, which has a tenative opening for my wife and a tenative opening for myself. Suprisingly, the director e-mailed us back within the hour stating that he would like to speak with us IF these positions actually open up, but he won't most likely know until around February.

He asked if that if they did open up, would we be attending either the Search London or ISS SF fairs. If it gets closer and the possibility is promising, do we still go to Boston or attempt to head to the Search SF fair to speak with him while he is at ISS SF?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

More attractive to who? For a teacher no. Regardless of how big the SF or any fair is, timing is more important then size. The SF fair is just after the rush in recruiting, the pool of school vacancies and teachers will simply get smaller and smaller as the SF fair approaches.

I cant tell you what to do in this situation, as my magic 8 ball is on the fritz, but my - is that if you pin all your hopes on geting your dream school, you would not be the first by a long short who ended up disappointed.

Whats the makeup for you at the two fairs? I take it your going to BOS fair because it was the best you got an invite for, and its attended by a large number of schools which increases your probability of haveing schools with your teaching subject in it. Whats the makeup of the SF for your teaching subjects, would the SF fair basically be ONLY this dream school? How do the opportunities compare?

Understand that if you dont go to the BOS fair you will miss every opportunity that might present itself, not just contract offers, but the opportunity to interview with schools that may turn into offers at a later point. You will miss being able to network with those recruiters.

I would advise going to both normally, go to the BOS fair and see what offers if any you get, and then decide what to do with the SF fair (assuming costs werent an issue), but this isnt even a position yet, its a really big maybe. Its a maybe that has to happen for both of you. Not only could the position not become available, but maybe only one position becomes available, and even in that scenario, this admin hasnt said if the position becomes available its yours, they are just inviting you to compete with everyone else who they may have likewise contacted about the position. You could be one of 500 people competing for a position that might not even come to exist. If it was an opportunity among many others of yours Id say of course pursue it. Passing up a lot of other potential opportunities for this situation I wouldnt put all my eggs in that basket.

My advice is this, email the principal and apologize, but you will be attending the Cambridge fair. You would love the opportunity to interview with them via Skype at their earliest convenience. If the school really wants you, meaning your at the top of their list they will accommodate you. If they blow you off or loose interest, they werent really that interested in you.
nkraai

Re: Reply

Post by nkraai »

I was just wondering that because ISS will be in SF around the same time as Search, if that enhances the possibilities available versus going to Search in Boston. I know ISS represents a lot of the same schools, but it also has some schools I would be very interested in that will be at the ISS fair in SF. Kind of wondering if "double dipping" would be more beneficial. I get that the Search BOS is much better than SF.

My wife is an elementary counselor and I am an elementary teacher. We both have our masters and 6+ years teaching in the states. My wife is the one all the schools are after. Yes, we have 3 other offers so far, from 3 solid schools, but we are wondering if we should hold out and be even more picky.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No not really. Unless your ONLy an ISS candidate and going to the ISS fair. Your idea sounds workable in theory but not practically. Most schools use both agencies, so going to an earlier fair (such as Search) means likely more vacancies. Schools arent going to "hold a position" to see whats happening at the SF fair if they have a candidate already. BOS is already the end of the peak in recruiting and SF is just late.
Schools that only recruit through ISS may seem to work, but the vast majority of the schools that do are top tier schools and they are going to complete recruiting in BKK, they arent going to wait until after recruiting rush to hire someone.
Tier 2 schools dont limit themselves to one agency and if they did they would choose Search (larger candidate base and rockstar teachers wouldnt be very interested ina two tier school anyway).
ISS wouldnt really accept a third tier school so its a moot point.

Yes your wife is the front card for the two of you as a teaching couple. You should have pushed for a BKK invite. London would be an option for you as a possibility. Several 2nd tier european schools are looking for a PYP coordinator (junior admin) and primary counselor position. Of the options available to you though BOS is the better bet. SF is going to be like riding the short bus, despite having ISS