What do you wish you would have brought?

micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

What is so frustrating at this point, is the amount of stuff we have that I feel we need to bring. I'm big on clothing and can't imagine living with so little clothing I feel I'm going to need to bring, but I just have to get used to it. I wanted 1 huge suitcase w/ my clothes, but I'm thinking I'll need more.

Don't even get me started on shoes. I can put all of my shoes in a mid sized suitcase. I am not one of those gals that need a different pair of shoes for each outfit, but I have about 10 pairs.

I don't know how I'm going to fit it all. We do have some shipping allowance, but I'd like to get most now, and the rest in the summer. I'm just at a frustration point and feel stuck!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

10 pairs of shoes and your not "one of those types of gals"? Given ive dated woman who had hundreds of pairs, but 10 isnt exactly traveling light. personally Id go to the post office and just send a box of shoes and other rarely needed clothing ahead of time (make room for your cap, hood and gown for graduation if your school does that).

I would also suggest the following:

1) Check with your school what the dress code is for staff. Some schools have very formal dress codes, and others smart casual. Plan accordingly.

2) Stick to one or two wardrobe color schemes. Either darks or neutral colors, then accessorize a small group of basics (skirts, blouses, etc) with scarves, belts, wraps and shaws.

3) Consider not just the temperature but the humidity. Hot and dry is very different then hot and humid when it comes to clothes. Linen works for hot and dry but will be a wet blanket in hot hummid, where silks synthetic lightweights are much better. No need to brink thermal underwear to Singapore, your Hawaiian shirt collection to Finland or your leather jacket to India.

4) Consider clothing care as being very important. Many countries and cultures dont have clothes dryers, meaning you have to hand everything up. This makes doing laundry take a lot more time. if you have provided housing you may have "shared" laundry facilities, meaning you may not be able to do laundry when you need to.
Different countries also have different values when it comes to detergent and things like bleach. Ive found that powder detergent is more common then liquid, and in pats of europe finding actual bleach can be difficult. Finding things like Woolite, Dryell, and liquid fabric softner can be very difficult or simply not available.
Strongly consider clothing that is non wrinkle/non iron, and machine washable. You dont want to really be doing a lot of dry cleaning on a daily basis.

5) If you have something really special or rare, leave it at home. I know a young teacher that brought her wedding dress with her, in case she met the right guy. If you have a family kimono/shiromuku or kilt (a scottish japanese wedding thats a kodak moment) or actual furs (a mink stole) id just leave them at home.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Just take photos of the ingredients of your favorite detergents etc at home. Find chemically similar (or same) and the only difference will be the amount needed and whatever perfume they use.
Understanding your Chem makes this easy, so some should've listened to their Chem teacher at school.

Consider buying clothes wherever you are going, unless it's kinda expensive. Places like china and India have plentiful tailors and they are cheap. Bring pictures and a smile and you will get some of the best clothes you have ever bought.

Shoes are different. If you have big feet and the locals don't. Then bring what you need. Unless you can find a shoemaker....

I think you should bring a family/cultural dress with you as there is always an opportunity to share at a true international school.

A good knife, clothes for work, some casual wear, work shoes and sneakers (buy slippers locally), basic toiletries to last at least the first few months. Don't bother with comfort stuff, they are not to hard to request a friend or family member to send if you are really desperate. Always try to source stuff locally and you will probably end up enjoying your stay more and have more opportunities open to you.
inman

Post by inman »

I wish I'd got all my documents notorised and attested before I moved overseas. Sending them back with registered courier added to the expense, as did the extra visa run I had to do whilst waiting. Hopefully your school have already briefed on all that long ago, but in case they haven't I'd get in it as soon as you can.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

A big "agree" with inman. Bring as many originals and apostilled (when applicable for country) docs as you can get. Marriage cents, birth cents for whole family, diplomas, licenses, transcripts,etc. everything. In triplicate if you can.

Have digital scans available too.