American School of Bangkok

WiscoKid

American School of Bangkok

Post by WiscoKid »

I know there are some very good schools in Thailand, but I cannot locate any current information about the American School of Bangkok. Does anyone have any recent experience with this school they would be willing to share? Thank you.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

Its a a third tier to lower, second tier school. The school has made some major strides since its ISR reviews but still remains under the ownership of a reportedly crazy family. I have heard from friends there, that the working environment can be altered by the owners on a whim. The school is proprietary and most of the money goes to line the families pocket.

There are two campus that vary wildly in quality-- downtown (shabby, but great location) and Bang na (beautiful, but awful location). The cultures of the two campuses match their environment.

One of the biggest problems is teacher retention, due to the low salary. Thats particularly reflected downtown, where its more expensive.

That all said in a pinch its not an awful starting out place, but take a good look at your options. Its still early in the year.