Am I in cloud cuckoo land? ...

nuts88

Am I in cloud cuckoo land? ...

Post by nuts88 »

I'm an English maths teacher with 9 years teaching experience with a trailing spouse and 2 children. What are the chances of netting £3000 at an international school? Anywhere will do, except Saudi and Kuwait.

I am currently 2nd in dept, would definitely consider a HOD role and carry excellent references.

The only reason I quote this figure is due to mortgage commitments.

Am I dreaming? Any honest replies or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
nuts88

Post by nuts88 »

Pleeeease reply someone!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Remember, the folks here are all working full time in different time zones. Also, I bet a lot of them just got out for winter break. Someone will respond, just be patient.

Unfortunately, I am not that person. Sorry. I'm still in the US. However, I do know that a lot of people have houses and student loan payments back home. You teach English and Math? Math is probably going to prove more fruitful.

I'll let someone else take it from here.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Net of what? The answer to this question is really going to depend on your lifestyle expectations and how conservative a spender/saver you are.

Many of the top tier schools in Asia would allow you to save that kind of money and still have a very comfortable life. These schools and positions are very competitive though, and you dont write enough about your resume to say if you would be competitive.
What do you teach? Is your experience mostly and most recently literature or maths? Do you have an advance degree (Masters), do you have IB experience?

Europe is out for you, WE schools dont provide housing or housing allowances and with a family of 4 youd be spending nearly your whole salary on housing. Schools in Asia generally provide housing directly or a housing allowance, the typical compensation package even at a second tier school would free up a lot of savings potential, though your going to have to be frugal with a family of 4. I mean really frugal.

You will have a very frustrating experience, as your an expensive teacher to hire. A school, has to pay for 4 people to fill one classroom, thats not the type of logistics that any recruiter moves to the top of the pile as their first choice. Your going to hear a lot of "were waiting" from recruiters, and what there waiting for is if someone cheaper becomes available. You could get that kind of money in the ME, but that doesnt seem like an attractive option for you.

Summary, its possible, but not very probable, only the top tier schools in Asia are going to be able to provide a £36000 a year savings potential and still afford you a reasonable lifestyle.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

He's saying he's a maths teacher from England, rather than an English (and) maths teacher.

Focussing more on the living costs of the country and the additional benefits package, rather than just earning a net amount will help you in finding a job that allows you to make the necessary repayments. Countries such as China, with a relatively low cost of living and some schools that pay high salaries, would be a safe bet. A lot of schools in the middle east also provide lots of benefits (e.g. utilities) and few options in which to spend your money.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

"He's saying he's a maths teacher from England, rather than an English (and) maths teacher."

Oh, duh. My brain needs a break.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Look into ESF schools in Hong Kong.
nuts88

Post by nuts88 »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes, vincentchase is right, I am a maths teacher from England, not and english and maths teacher - sorry for the confusion.

In response to PSY- my experience is solely within the British curriculum, GCSE and A-Level maths. I have a BA Hons degree but no Masters. My results ALWAYS provide a positive residual against targets and consistently receive "good" or "outstanding" on observations.

ESF look good, but the accommodation expense really worries me. I basically have to send back £1200 per month at the moment, which in my present job, is do-able (I work for SCE Schools in Germany). But, unfortunately we've just been given notice of closure and hate the thought of putting my kids into the UK system having now had a taste of schools outside the UK.

My wife has been volunteering in the primary school here for the past 6 months and loves it. She would love to work as a teaching assistant, but I understand in IS this position is given to local hires. She's a lawyer by trade and has considered re-training as a primary teacher, but I'm fairly positive this would require her/us to relocate back to the UK for the training. I have heard of "distance PGCE" offered by 1 or 2 universities, but have also read that these are not received well on the IS circuit?

We feel really excited about a move further away, but are obviously concerned about the financial reality that may not give us the quality or standard of life we have now.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Id look again at HK, Singapore, and Thailand, etc. Your wife doesnt have to do an online distance PGCE, there are universities in those cities/countries that provide local F2F PGCE programs.