What are my chances of working at an International school?

jtomstone

What are my chances of working at an International school?

Post by jtomstone »

I graduated with a BEd in 2010 in the primary/junior division (from a Canadian university in Ontario). I have a teaching certificate from the Ontario College of Teachers.

When I finished, I went overseas to teach in South Korea. My first year I worked at a private school with elementary students. Currently I am working at a public middle school. I'm teaching EFL.

In retrospect, it was maybe a bad idea to teach EFL after I graduated, but I wanted to experience teaching in another country and Korea had plenty of jobs.

What are my chances of getting a job teaching at the elementary level in an International school?

I read some posts on here about new teachers fresh out of school getting jobs at international schools in China, outside of the major cities. I wouldn't mind working in China, I'm just not sure where to start getting a job there.

Would it be best to go back to Canada and get 2 years of experience?

Has anyone made the transition from ESL to teaching at an International school?
lennoc

It's never hopeless...

Post by lennoc »

While it isn't great that you don't have any "proper" teaching experience you are qualified and you have at least demonstrated the ability to live internationally - make sure you mention that on any applications. Schools find it encouraging that you have successfully lived and worked overseas.

Personally I'd advise joining Search Associates or similar (ISS), it's not that expensive and it will give you access to their database. Then just start applying for jobs everywhere. You probably won't get hired early in the season but if you put out enough applications you've got a reasonable chance of scoring something. Don't be too fussy. Any school that pays on time can probably be put up with for 2 years and after that you'll be in a much stronger position for trying for your next job.

Given your lack of experience I wouldn't bother with a job fair.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Teaching EFL/ESL in Korea unfortunately isn't going to count for international schools. They don't consider it relevant experience. If you had been teaching subject matter as a homeroom teacher, there are schools that would take this into account.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

There is a list of Canadian overseas schools in Wikipedia as well as a couple of other places. There are many and the list is expanding. 80% of them would consider you a decent candidate, particularly the Ontario ones.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your chances at teaching elementary/primary at an IS, are very low. ESL doesnt count. You have no experience, and you need 2 to be considered entry level for an IS.
Many schools save primary positions for teaching couples. If you have 5+ years of experience and IB PYP experience tehn it would be different.

One option to consider is an internship. Search has a intern program, and the Cambridge fair is typically that fair. Internships usually come with full salary minus the benefits (a local package), and provide an opportunity to get into some of the tier 1 schools.

Yes there are schools in the ME and Asia that would hire you, but these are going to be third tier schools, and the experience is likely to be "unpleasant". Though if you can suffer through it for 2 years you will be in a much better position in two years, especially if you can get PYP experience.
There are also schools running canadian programs that would be interested in you coming out of Ontario, they get really desperate in the summer and will hire anyone qualified, these are typically second tier schools, though you wont be able (in most cases) to obtain IB experience.

I think a fair is actually a good idea for you, your resume isnt going to impress anyone, your going to need to use people skills to impress them. Id recommend the Cambridge fair if your interested in the intern route or the San Francisco fair, it will be after the peak of recruiting season, and schools will have lowered their expectations.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I don't know why you think the Canadian schools get desperate by summer. Of the three schools I know of, one in ME, two in Asia, none of them have a problem hiring.

My school is fine and has most of the attributes that define a second tier school (perhaps third tier on the odd occasion). A fairly decent place to work and pays well.

They will take appropriate ESL experience into account.
jtomstone

Post by jtomstone »

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm going to sign up for Search Associates and check out the list of schools on Wikipedia. Hopefully I can get a bite somewhere. I don't expect the best school with my experience, but I'm willing and able to stick it out somewhere less than ideal. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to prepare a some kind of a classroom plan and my education philosophy to show that I'm serious about this kind of work. Or maybe they won't care. We'll see.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Try applying to a BC offshore school. They look for teachers that either hold a BC certificate or are eligible for a BC certificate. I would think that your Ontario certification would make you eligible for a BC certificate. There may be some hoops to jump through to get it though. :) Worth looking into.
lennoc

Don't be too negative

Post by lennoc »

I just want to point out that plenty of third tier schools will be perfectly ok places to work. Not great packages but enough to live on and have an amazing experience.

Then, when you've got experience, you can aim higher.

I guess I'm saying don't have the attitude that you need to work somewhere awful and suffer for 2 years. Find a school that's a good match for you. Then go with a positive attitude.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats not true, third tier schools dont just have low packages. Third tier schools also suffer from organizational and educational problems. A school doesnt end up in the bottom tier because it doesnt pay well, and paying a lot of money in compensation doesnt ensure a school gets into the top tiers.
jtomstone

Post by jtomstone »

When you talk about third tier schools, are these schools that are recognized by educational authorities in their home country?

Also, where are these third tier schools advertising jobs? Is it worth it to sign up for Search and TIE?
aisha

Post by aisha »

Try the TES (Times Educational Supplement). Lots of schools advertise here, both good and bad ones. You might have to sign up to see the jobs but it is free in any case.

http://www.tes.co.uk/Home.aspx

I guess I worked in a 'third tier' school in Spain once. The school was for profit and we didn't have many resources. I couldn't do any labs in science, all theory. The pay was very low but very basic housing was provided on campus. Most teachers didn't like it but myself and another teacher were fine with it so we lived rent free. The kids weren't that motivated at all but were okay once you got used to them.

Once I figured it out, I realised they only wanted a teacher who spoke English in the classroom, I was just really just there for show. I started teaching whatever parts of the course that would keep the kids interested. After that my time was much better.

We had to stay after school for an hour each day, sometimes I had nothing to do and I never did any school work at home. I don't regret my time at the school. I had a great time in Spain. There are a lot of schools in Spain like that.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends what you mean by "recognized by educational authorities"? It varies a lot from country to country. In general a "real" third tier international school is typically authorized by the countries regulatory authority. Essentially they are private schools offering a local/native curriculum. What you see varies greatly in practice, many of these schools are little more then ESL/Language schools (such as Aishas) school and many of them operate by virtue of simply having a business license in that country. There is little that sets them apart from any other business selling mobile phones or a bowel of noodles.

Search has third tier schools but if thats the typ of job your looking for, where your really just an English teacher (even if your teaching a subject, and often called a "bilingual school" or "immersion school" its just ESL for academic purposes) and you can basically teach from a book, hand out worksheets and dont really have to prep or plan, and your happy with a low salary and few benefits then you can find them on a number of ESL recruiting sites such as TES and Daves ESL Cafe. You can also just google ESL and a country and find lots of job search boards.

By the way there is nothing wrong with teaching at a Bilingual school. You can travel around pretty freely, make a living (in some countries several times more then locals) and not have to worry about a thing once you leave the school.
seashell

Post by seashell »

If you are already on the ground in Korea why not contact some of the newer International schools like Chadwick or Asia Pacific and offer to interview on campus. You might get a break with these newer schools who have a typically younger faculty. I know Asia Pacific has recruited some people straight out of university. Of course this all depends on if you like Korea and would be willing to stay put another 2 years!