Interviews

nkraai

Interviews

Post by nkraai »

So my wife and I (elementary teacher and elementary counselor) have been contacted by 4 schools so far for interviews. According to the forum, 3 of these schools would be considered tier 1, in locations we are uncertain about. None of them were schools we applied for through any avenue. (we are signed up with Search) Does this happen quite frequently?

I know there is no "right" answer, but how long should we wait to hear from schools that we have applied to? I'm scared of accepting a position with a school so early on if we are competitive enough to be at a better school/location if we were to wait longer. Any thoughts?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its very common for schools to search for potential teachers using the agency web search tools, which is very likely how the schools identified you and contacted you. Many high demand highly qualified teachers are contacted in November, and interview before the fairs start. Top tier schools often revise or completely staff their schools before the fairs.

If youve applied to a school, and heard nothing from them, not even a "wed like to see you at the fair", they are not as interested in you as you are in them. My experience is that when a school is interested and wants you, they dont play hard to get, they put in the effort to contact you, and assess your interest level.

You risk very little by accepting an interview. Interviewing does not obligate you to accepting a contract. Not only do you get to hear their offer and pitch, but you get to put a human face and voice with a recruiter, which is how networking starts. Even if you dont accept a position with the school, youve had the opportunity to make an impression with the recruiter for an opportunity at some future point.
lennoc

Agree

Post by lennoc »

I agree. Start a dialogue with the schools who are interested in you.

Only you can decide if what they offer you is enough to make you happy or if you should hold out for something else.

Personally I'm at the point now where I've started to say to schools that I'm very happy to talk with them but that I won't be making any final decisions until after the fair (I'm going to Bangkok early January). That does 2 things, it tells them I need time to consider but it also tells them I'm probably going to make a decision at the fair so if they want me and aren't going to be at the fair they need to let me know what their offer is first.
txteach

Post by txteach »

I hope you are open to these schools. I was contacted by one a few weeks ago and really actually scoffed at the idea because I was set on a few specific schools in a few specific countries, but the more I learned about this school and this location, the more I realized how incredible the school is and how lucky I am to learn about them and interview with them.

You might end up someplace you wouldn't have expected, and be much happier for it in the long run!
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

@txteach I agree. Two of the schools are in places we would have never considered previously. However; both interviews were fantastic and we definitely will keep the possibility open to accepting positions in one of the places we initially would have declined.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

Is it really all that common to be contacted by schools? My account with Search has not lead to anything initiated by a school. I have had a few interviews but I initiated contact. I am credentialed in Physics and am a little disapointed by the lack of interest. I am curious if I am in the majority or minority on this one...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@flyingrob31

Yes its very common. Schools join agencies such as Search and ISS so that they too can SEARCH and identify teachers that they want to recruit. If schools just wanted a drop box to receive applications they already have an HR email address and employment page on their web sites.

Your just in the minority, you hear a lot of candidates every year saying dont worry, dont worry, its early, lots of time, and then give all these rationales that "schools are waiting to see who shows up at the fair", etc. The reality though is that schools start recruiting in October, not January, thats just the "rush" where you see a lot of visible activity, but many of the top schools know who they are going to interview and have their short lists done by the holiday break. Many of those positions are going to be filled before the fair starts, most the night before when the schools can rogue interview teachers, or a few days before.

If you havent gotten any interest, there is no secret "dating" translation to that, it means they arent interested at this time.