Difference in Interview Questions: Principal vs. HOS?

txteach

Difference in Interview Questions: Principal vs. HOS?

Post by txteach »

I know this is asking for some real generalizations, but in your vast experience, what's the difference in the types of questions asked in an interview with a school principal or assistant principal vs. the subsequent interview with the head of school? Do the questions get broader instead of subject-specific, maybe?

I've had a principal interview and am trying to prepare myself for an eventual HOS interview for the same school.

Thanks!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I didn't find the questions to be all that different from the two. It seemed to be differentiated more based on their personal experiences than their position.

Good luck.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

As a broad generality, HOSs tend to focus more on overall "fit" and your philosophy. Principals tend to focus more on curriculum, and teaching specifics. HOSs want to know how your going to interact with the other staff, students and parents, the outside classroom factors. Principals want to know how your going to perform in the classroom.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Depends on who is doing the first interview. The first always tries to figure out if you can teach and will generally fit in.

If the first interviewer is the head, then the second with the principal is a formality and basically whether you both can work together.

If the first is the principal, then the head might be interested in more details or just talking about general things about the school and region.

Either way, your position on the list is not going to change after the first interview. You are either first second or third and the only way you will move up is if someone screws up like capt underpants or doesn't accept the offer.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

Captain Underpants! I love it. Whenever I think of that scenario it makes me smile.
txteach

Post by txteach »

I guess I could follow up on this now that I've had the interview! The HOS interview was mostly about the big picture of the school and not at all about what I'll be teaching specifically. We talked about living overseas, where to watch college football, etc.

When I was sent my contract, it turns out it was signed by the HOS even before our interview, so it's clear he fully trusts his principals and just wanted to make sure I wasn't Captain Underpants!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Poor Captain Underpants. He'll never live that down.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

[quote="txteach"] When I was sent my contract, it turns out it was signed by the HOS even before our interview, so it's clear he fully trusts his principals and just wanted to make sure I wasn't Captain Underpants![/quote]

So funny!