St. Andrews, Rayong, Thailand

sangster2

St. Andrews, Rayong, Thailand

Post by sangster2 »

I have seen that this school has jobs for me, however there seems to be a lot of jobs going at this school. So is everyone leaving or is the school expanding?

There is 1 review which is positive but I wonder if it was put there recently to help with the recruiting.

Ichiro, can answer please, maybe under a different name? You had written something about the school before but you've deleted it.

I will be grateful for any information from anyone.

Thanks.
Whatnow

Post by Whatnow »

It is part of the Cognita network.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Has this recently happened?

I know they took over a school in Saigon and apparently it has changed a lot. Many teachers are leaving.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Mid-low 2nd tier.
Average salary with NO housing allowance.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Isn't housing cheap in that area? Or am I wrong, I am just guessing? I know there is no saving to be had there. I had thought it was a relaxed atmosphere, fairly well run and not a heavy workload. Plus you can live by the beach. Was it ever like this?

I wouldn't want to go there if its Cognita though because it will be a lot of work and no money.
aridion

Post by aridion »

Do Incognito work their teachers hard?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Third tier school, low salary for Thailand. My information was that they had a housing package, but with the acquisition of InCognita this could have changed.
Housing is cheap, but thats not an excuse or a reason to go without a housing package ina market where its a standard benefit. You can find many third tier school in LOS that provide a housing package and comparable salary.

InCognita acquired IS HCMC in Saigon

InCognita changes schools into corporate schools, they make education all about business. They dont see teachers as assets or even their product, they see them as resources. They are successful because owners and boards like the increase in revenue, and that parents tend to get what they want despite academic rigor.
aridion

Post by aridion »

I was under the impression that St Andrew's were a decent school that paid relatively well (starting at around 90k plus housing). They were considered just above the likes of Regents, St Stephen's et al.

Surprized that it is only considered a third tier school.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Ok, let's clear a few misconceptions up.

1. Firstly, PsyGuy is wrong (nothing unusual there), there never has been a housing allowance. Also, it's a 2nd tier school with an average salary for Thailand.

Aridion is correct in his/her assumptions, except the housing part.

Housing is as cheap/expensive as you want it to be. Thailand is not so cheap as it was anymore and prices rising quickly. A 2-bed condo will set you back 25-35,000 bht. Sure, if you want to live in a studio box for 10-15,000 no problem.

'You can find many third tier school in LOS that provide a housing package and comparable salary.' NO, you can't .

Like I said, it's an average salary from a 2nd tier school with a half decent rep- but NO housing.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No, it's become a 3rd tier school, they did have a housing package at one time, though it seems its changed. there salary and compensation package is below average. I haven't looked at their package lately, its not the kind of school that gets a lot of attention. The other tier 2 schools provide a housing pa Kate, and all other factors aside, I can't rate a school that's s deficient in such a standard part of its compensation package, with other schools that do.
If there is any tier your going to find schools in Thailand without a housing package, its in the third tier, and that describes Andrews, as a third tier school.

Thailand may not be s cheap as it once was, but NO WHERE is as cheap as it once was. Costs and prices have risen pretty much everywhere. You use to be ale to buy a coke for a nickel, and gas was a quarter, but that was then and this is now. Relative to other similar metropolitan locations, Thailand is cheap.

You must certainly can find 3rd tier school with housing packages, they are the rule not the exception in Thailland and to that end Asia. You can get ESL positions that provide housing, you can definitely get third tier schools with housing packages.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

An article about Cognita from the Guardian paper in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... ?fb=optOut
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Psy Guy, you really are tedious. If anyone says white then you'll say black.

Ok, instead of farting out of your stupid mouth all day, tell me a school in Thailand that is third tier, pays 90,000 up (net) baht month AND provides housing?

Whilst you're on a roll , tell me exactly when St. A's had a housing allowance? I'm really curious!

Oh and this: . 'Relative to other similar metropolitan locations, Thailand is cheap.' What do you mean by that? Did you mean to say Bangkok? Compared to where? Tokyo, Madrid? The figures I quoted for accomodation are correct and a big chunk out of a 90,000 bht salary - what was there to argue about?

Do you just like to spend your whole life arguing the toss with anyone and everyone? What a dysfunctional way to spend your time!

Deary me!
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Thank you for all your help. Please stop bickering. I don't really care what tier anyone thinks the school is.

I understand the money isn't great. I would not be going to St. Andrews in order to save. I just wanted to know if its become a horrible place to work at since Cognita took over or if its still a relaxed sort of place with not too much pressure. Seems like it used to be?

I have learnt tons at the school I am at, so I don't need to be in a school that is going to teach me stuff. I feel like every day has been PD, it is overwhelming really. I don't care if tech is that great or not either. I am at a 1-to-1 school, interactive whiteboards and all that. It hasn't made my life easier, in fact I have to spend more time preparing at home and then still be a performing seal in the classroom. Tier 1 schools are overrated!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Comment

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Third tier school, low salary for Thailand. My information was that they
> had a housing package, but with the acquisition of InCognita this could
> have changed.
> Housing is cheap, but thats not an excuse or a reason to go without a
> housing package ina market where its a standard benefit. You can find many
> third tier school in LOS that provide a housing package and comparable
> salary.
>
> InCognita acquired IS HCMC in Saigon
>
> InCognita changes schools into corporate schools, they make education all
> about business. They dont see teachers as assets or even their product,
> they see them as resources. They are successful because owners and boards
> like the increase in revenue, and that parents tend to get what they want
> despite academic rigor.
-------------------------------------------
An yet they have a learning support department.
bananaphone

Re: St. Andrews, Rayong, Thailand

Post by bananaphone »

anyone with CURRENT information who's actually worked there?

Moderator has locked this topic

Since this topic appeared in 2012 we have found it necessary to change our posting policy for the Open Forum. You can help us avoid conflicts with schools by not posting or asking for evaluation type comments to this forum.

We appreciate your participation in the ISR OPEN FORUM but clearly ask that you not post or request evaluation type information about schools, be it from a positive or negative perspective. You can see the details of our guidelines at the following URL

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ?f=7&t=306

The MEMBER FORUM (located in the MEMBER area of the web site) is expressly for posting a request for evaluation type material about schools.

The MEMBER FORUM can be reached at the following link.

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... ers/forum/

You may request on this forum that someone post a review or comment on the MEMBER FORUM for you.

Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ben @ ISR