American Community School of Amman

nkraai

American Community School of Amman

Post by nkraai »

Anyone have information on the school, package, and life in Amman? I have heard some positive reviews and Amman seems like a progressive city with a lot of history.
overseasvet2

Amman

Post by overseasvet2 »

Good friends who are there really like it. The local people are friendly, the school is truly international and the money is good for a smallish school. The thing they like most is the few start up costs they had. Their apartment was ready to move into and the school provided a start up kit of pans, dishes, and food for first few days, teachers can rent a car from the school for the duration of their stay. They told me taxis are cheap but it's hard to beat having your own ride.

You do not hear much about the school but I am going to apply next time we go looking - if they have an opening for both of us. They do not usually have a long list of openings. That says a lot, too.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

I lived in Amman for a few years and loved it there.

ACS is definitely the first tier school in the region; most of the UN and diplomat kids go there, for what that's worth.

There is a lot to see and do in Jordan: crusader castles, snorkeling and diving in the Red Sea, Roman ruins, and of course Petra, where that one Indiana Jones movie was filmed.

The climate is milder than the gulf M. E. countries, too.
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

Thanks for the input. The one gripe seems to be with the school provided housing. Can anyone speak to that? Has anyone lived in Amman recently? How are the cost of goods? How is the harrassment of western women? I really don't want my wife to be subjected to that, especially with my young son in tow.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was a teacher there a few years ago. I loved it. I was a teacher in th middle school/high school.

Here are the positives- (1) All the foreign hired teachers had excellent housing. The housing was not all in one area, and it was in very nice neigborhoods. All the furniture was supplied, even the bed sheets. There was little in the way of start-up costs. (2) Within a few days after landing in Amman, the teachers were given a car. The car rental was very minimal, and all repairs (within reason) were paid for by the school. The cars were almost new, and in my case, it was new. I would take weekend trips to the Dead Sea and Petra. (3) Class size, at least in the high school, was reasonable. (4) The school is respectful of your time, so you have the usual requirements to be involved, but it's reasonable. (5) The school pays into US Social Security and Medicare, which I wanted since my contributios in the past have been minimal.

The only negatives I can think of is the lack of good restaurants. Perhaps in the intervening few years that has changed.

Best memory: WE had a blizzard, and the city was totally unprepared. There were no snowplows, and there were no snow tires car chains. There was no school for three days, and we had some great snowball fights and built some really nice snowmen.

Would I recomment ACS Amman? Yes.

Rob
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

Thank you all for the comments. Everyone has some pretty positive things to say about the school and community, I am wondering what the red flags are? Would this be a good place for a first time international position?
overseasvet2

First time assignment

Post by overseasvet2 »

This is going to be a general response to your question about a first time overseas post. No matter the place, you will have to bring a spirit of adventure and FLEXIBILITY. Very little will feel like home. Having said that, here are the major issues I perceive for first timers:

Language Barrier: My friends say nearly everyone the meet in Amman speaks English.

Negotiating banking, visas, and housing contracts: the school (like all top schools) takes care of all of this.

Missing things from Home: I guess all major foodstuffs are available ans lots of US chain restaurants.

The best thing for you to do is ask for the emails of current teachers and ask them about the things that are important to you.
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

I haven't taught at this school but deal with their athletics and activities program a few times per year because we are in the same international conference. I have only good things to say about them. Jordan is a great place too. Lovely weather and plenty to do outside of work. Their pay scale will be a bit less than the Gulf countries but the quality of life in Jordan is far superior to the Gulf so it is a wash.
nkraai

Post by nkraai »

Anybody have current info on the housing provided by this school? Where is the school located within Amman and what about the housing? How is the cost of living there compared to the salary? Thanks for any info!
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

If i am single with a partner....would it be possible to live in the same house with my girlfriend? i know this is a big issue in ME
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Alecsmario,

if your girlfriend is a non-teacher, it is unlikely that you would be able to sponsor her. That would be the first thing I would be checking.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You could not sponsor your gf for a visa, and neither would the school. Assuming she came on a tourist visa, and what type of housing you go you would very likely have a problem with her living with you for any significant period of time.

marry her, and the problem evaporates.
indogal

Post by indogal »

FYI- I recently applied and was told that they are exclusively hiring teaching couples at this time.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

cha-ching!