How competitive are we?

Peregrination

How competitive are we?

Post by Peregrination »

Before I begin, let me be clear: if the overall consensus is that we're not ready, I am perfectly happy staying in the states for another year or two. It's not the end of the world; I just want to know if we actually have a chance this year.

My credentials (in order):
-BA in English Literature and Rhetoric, minor in Film Studies
-Two years as an ESL teacher in Taiwan; wrote curriculum as well.
-MS in Secondary Education, w/ certification
-Three years of experience as a high school English teacher in US, teaching American lit and 12th grade writing and rhetoric.
-Also teach a Film Criticism course, for which I wrote the curriculum.
-Recently completed requirements for dual certification in ESL. I should have certification in three months time, after paperwork is complete.
-No experience with IB or AP (no opening yet at my school), but have College Board certificate for an AP training course (earned three graduate credits)

My boyfriend's credentials (also, in order):
-BA in Spanish and Philosophy
-Two years as an ESL teacher in Taiwan; managed an entire school of foreign teachers and also wrote curriculum.
-MA in Spanish Literature from NYU
-MAT and certification in secondary education
-One year of experience as a Spanish and ESL teacher (teaches Spanish 2, Spanish for Native Speakers, and ESL 1).
-Now dual certified to teach Spanish and ESL

Any chance of placement with not being married and the BF only having 1 year of American public school experience? We've already been told by those we know working in international schools that he has a better chance than most non-native speakers of being placed as Spanish teacher because of his very high fluency level (completely bilingual) and the masters degree from NYU.

Just curious to see what you all think... Thanks for your help!

(And no, Psyguy, we're not getting married just for a job!)
sid

Post by sid »

There's definitely a chance, but it will depend on how recruiters see your time in the ESL schools, and maybe therefore on how you pitch that time.
It wasn't the same sort of teaching that you'd be asked to do in most international schools, so it isn't the most relevant experience to prove you're the sort of teacher the school needs. And your US experience, while more similar in terms of what will be expected, is a bit thin so far and may or may not have any similarities with the type of clientele you'll be getting in an international post. The ESL posts prove you can work and adapt overseas, which is great. So you've got a mixed bag.

Some places won't even consider the ESL gigs as teaching experience, which could put you beneath minimum hiring requirements, either by local law or by school policy.

Others would be happy to have you. You can take your chances now, or teach another year or two at home for a better shot.

Be aware that with short ESL stints and short US stints, you so far have a CV which doesn't prove that you have staying power. You'd be well advised to stay in either your current post or your first international post for a longer stay. If you do three short stints in a row, heads will start to seriously question...
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Your ESL experience will not count unless you are applying for an ESL job, and you are certified (not a TEFL or CELTA) to teach ESL.

You are not married, so I don't think you qualify as a teaching couple, but I could be wrong about this. Most schools want their couples to be married, and might ask you if you have marriage plans. You also don't teach high in-demand subjects (I'm also an English teacher and even with an MA and IB experience I am not competitive) so it might be difficult. You might try and find a gig at a lower tier school and stay for a few years (3-4), get that staying power and IB experience.
Peregrination

Post by Peregrination »

Thanks for the responses! Good to have some realistic feedback.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

(: Are you sure you wont get married for a job? Like realsies, as in your dream school would offer you two positions as a teaching couple if only you got married?
I ask because in your case getting married and being a teaching couple makes THE difference.

Both of your resumes are just light. None of your ESL experiences count (not curriculum, supervision, the teaching, none of it) for anything (you seem to focus on it).

Neither of you is in a high demand field.

You have 3 years experience (which is good) in teaching english with a special skill for the film experience, but film teachers are rare, and you dont have enough experience teaching it to be competitive for such a position full time.

Being AP certified means haveing an AP approved syllabus. Much like IB, training is "nice" but when it comes to marketability, its the experience that really matters.

The Masters degree is good

Bf has a degree in philosophy which means you cant really teach anything, except TOK, and in that case you need to have IB experience and preferably TOK teaching experience.

Having only a year of experience is below the entry bar for most ISs.

NYU is a nice school, but you cant really bank on a schools rep unless its an ivy (Harvard, Yale, Oxford)

Is his spanish, american spanish or Castilian?

if we look at the PsyGuy Applicant Scoring System:

1) 1 pt / 2 years Experience (Max 10 Years)
2) 1 pt - Advance Degree (Masters)
3) 1 pt - Cross Certified (Must be schedule-able)
4) 1 pt - Curriculum Experience (IB, AP, IGCSE)
5) 1pt - Logistical Hire (Single +.5 pt, Couple +1 pt)
6) .5 pt - Previous International School Experience (standard 2 year contract)
7) .5 pt - Leadership Experience/Role (+.25 HOD, +.5 Coordinator)
8) .5 pt - Extra Curricular (Must be schedule-able)
9) .25 pt - Special Populations (Must be qualified)
10) .25 pt - Special Skill Set (Must be documentable AND marketable)

GF:
1 Pt for the 3 years experience.
1 Pt for the Masters
.25 Pt for Special Populations (ESL, and your not certified now)
.25 Pt for Special Skill Set (Film)
Which gives you a score of 2.5

BF:
.5 Pt for the one year experience
1 Pt Masters
1 Pt Cross Certified (Spanish ESL)
Which gives him a score of 2.5

So separately your barely qualified to get hired, and BF is going to have a challenge with only one year experience. If you two were a couple that would give you a full additional point.

The issue is that many of the schools that are likely to be interested in you are in rather conservative places (such as the ME) where to hire you as a couple you would really have to be married to even legally live together. The school would have issues if they were to support an unmarried couple living together. Getting married increases your competitiveness by about 50%
Peregrination

Post by Peregrination »

I appreciate the feedback. However, I'd rather work in the states for another year or two than rush into a life-long commitment like marriage. We are still applying for a few positions this year, just to see if we hear anything back. We are both employed, so no big deal if nothing comes of it, which is the most likely scenario. Working abroad is a long-term goal.

I should have mentioned, however, that the reason I wanted to ask this on this forum is because we've gotten really good feedback from people we know in the international community- and we know quite a few teachers and administrators. The BF is a graduate of a top international school in Asia (won't name which one, but it's top 5), and his former teachers, admins, and family friends have been guiding us through this process.

While they've been helpful (getting us connections) and overly positive, it's really nice to hear outside responses from unbiased individuals so we can have a realistic perspective on the job search. And to be honest, the feedback was what I expected. Thanks again!!