Apostille

micki0624

Apostille

Post by micki0624 »

Do I get an Apostille on my original diploma or a photo copy? And same on my teaching cert, original or photo copy?
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it depends on where you're from.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You can do either. All an apostile is, is a verification by the government authority (in the USA this means your states secretary of state) that the notarizing/certifying officials seal and signature are valid and match those on file with regulating office.
It does not authenticate the document itself, it authenticates who the certifying official is.
Your university register is the one making the statement that your degree/diploma is true/accurate and authentic. They make this statement on the document and a notary/certifying officer is the one certifying your registers claim/statement.
If your school will certify/notarize a photocopy of your degree/diploma then it can be apostiled. It depends on the policy and procedures of your school.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Always best to err on the side of originals. After having had to produce all kinds of docs for living and working overseas, I will always have:

- as many original or certified copies as I can get.
- everything scanned and available on the cloud
- many copies of everything.

It's just amazing how often all of that comes in handy. Children born, renewal of visas, other apps, etc.