learning support/SPED positions and information

teacherleah

learning support/SPED positions and information

Post by teacherleah »

I would love to hear from someone who knows some or any information about the current state of Special Education services. I am aiming for a Learning Support/Resource position as my number one choice.

What is the climate like? What sorts of credentials does an admin look for?

I have five years teaching Special Ed, both in a self-contained classroom, in a resource setting, and as an inclusion teacher. The thing is, all of my experience is at a school on a residential treatment center where most students are diagnosed with behavior and emotional disorders.

Will this detail be held against me based on the fact that I did not teach at a "typical" school? I feel adept in all areas of teaching and do not think my experience has hindered me at all. On the contrary, I feel that my experience has prepared me to be super flexible and up for anything. My students regularly have success where success was absent before. My students start out one or two years behind grade level and consistently show annual yearly progress of at least one grade level.

I don't really have more specific questions, but I wonder how my experience measures up to the types of positions that I will be applying for and the pool of applicants with which I will apply.

Thanks in advance!
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I think that you'll need to focus on the progress your students made. As has been mentioned before, international school learning support can be termed special ed lite. Your experience seems to be quite the opposite and I wouldn't spend a lot of time dwelling on those type of challenges.

What I usually am working with is students with dyslexia and some mild ADHD (inattentive type). I'm primarily dealing with organizational skills, in-class support, and helping the students to set and meet targets.

I think a lot will depend on how you package yourself. Be prepared to talk about how you can support student learning and don't dwell on the behavior management aspect.
teacherleah

Post by teacherleah »

DCgirl,

Thank you. That is the answer that I was expecting. I plan to focus on ways that I know I can support student learning. I just don't want schools to think that since my job has been with behaviorally and emotionally challenged students that I am not prepared to handle academics.

I do now and I can!

Thanks again.