no nibbles so far

heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Attend the fair every day. Things can change rapidly. People get hired, then back out and the position is open again. Or the principal is canvassing all prospects and will choose later. You do not want to be out sightseeing when he or she wants you back for another interview. And certainly don't mention that you want to go sightseeing and would like a quick response.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Schools who are interested in you may put requests for interviews in your pigeon hole before the fair starts. Some schools don't do this and wait to see who turns up at their table but I think that is more unusual.

After the sign-up morning, when you set your interviews, you should have an idea of your schedule. If you do have interviews then you won't know if you will have a second later on, so need to be available. You might end up waiting around for a school to contact you when you could have gone off sight seeing but then again a school might contact you and you may have a job.

If we had no interviews at all then we would go sightseeing maybe on the day before you leave. However everyone should have interviews unless you are not being open at all. The hotel is by the river so you can take the riverboat and get to see a lot. You can do this after the fair anyway, it helps to clear your head.

Good luck at the fair. Make sure to tell us how the fair went when you get back.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The fair is a LOT of downtime. Signup last a couple hours and then its waiting for your interviews. The average teacher has 3-4 interviews at a fair. They range from 30 minutes (they dont really want you) to an hour and a half, with the average being an hour. That leave s a lot of time to wait. Generally schools and recruiters will save the first early interview slots of the first day for those they sent invites to. No use interviewing if they can get a top candidate early. Then they fill their. You should have your schedule fairly early, and by the second day its really second round interviews, which you will have been notified the night before, or followup candidates, where the school doesnt get to sign any of their top choices and is now just looking to see who is available. After lunch on the second day the only thing left is a possible last minute interview, which at BKK is pretty uncommon. By the middle of the second day everyone is pretty much sure of who they are talking to and who they are going to be talking too. Id say your free to go sight see, with a stop off at the hotel before dinner to check email. After the second day if you havent already got something scheduled your pretty much done.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Had my first nibble today. It's a country that I'm not seriously considering, but it's nice to have some contact prior to Bangkok. You never know...
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

DCgirl, we finally got two nibbles. Not necessarily in places we'd really want to go, but it's nice to get something, you know?
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

We have a second interview scheduled with a school we really like. It's kind of funny because it's only our third interview altogether, but it's one of our top five schools. If they offer, I think we'll accept. Won't say any more about it right now....
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I have till Jan 15 to let my school know if I'm returning.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

I'm going to london fair. Have sent applications out to 15schools for primary position with wife..no feedback just few auto emails. All specific cover letters. We have over 17year experience between us...unsure what to make of it all?? Should I get in contact with search or is it too early to have heard from schools??
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I'm just starting to get interest letters from schools a week before the Bangkok fair. The job I have now, I heard from the school a few weeks before Cambridge. Maybe the schools are primarily focusing on the candidates going to the next fairs that they're attending. My guess is that you'll hear from schools after the Bangkok fairs are over. Good luck.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Redvaldo, it seems unless you are in a very high demand subject or know somebody who knows somebody (that personal networking), you might not know until you get to the fair and see notes in your file whether you have an interview or not.

I think it is still early days to go - no worries. I had friends who had no contacts and decided to stay at a school, only to receive emails later from schools which were at the fair they had planned to attend asking where they were. LOL

On a positive note, had my first nibble today - and the fair is a week away!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="shadowjack"]Redvaldo, it seems unless you are in a very high demand subject or know somebody who knows somebody (that personal networking), you might not know until you get to the fair and see notes in your file whether you have an interview or not.

I think it is still early days to go - no worries. I had friends who had no contacts and decided to stay at a school, only to receive emails later from schools which were at the fair they had planned to attend asking where they were. LOL

On a positive note, had my first nibble today - and the fair is a week away![/quote]

I'm so annoyed I'm here in Bangkok and can't attend the fair! My job gives no time off and my break ends on the 5th which means I have to leave for work on the 4th to get back by the 5th. If I stay I will be deducted for part of the holiday break and I hear maybe a warning letter. I'm on great standing and though I will not renew my contract dont want sore grapes either ahh what to do.....

I'm glad you hot a nibble wish you well at the fair.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Redvaldo,
It seems like most schools are waiting for the fairs. I emailed a school with openings for both of us; the director looked at our website quite a bit and then wrote me back to say, "Sorry, those vacancies will be tentative until February. Check back then." This coupled with about thirty schools who haven't said anything at all.

The only reason we got this interview now is that the school is small and only has a couple vacancies, and they wanted to skip the fairs. (Also, my husband teaches Chemistry, which, from what I hear, is like having a golden ticket.) I'm flabbergasted that this has all happened so early.

Anyway, second interview's done. Now we're just... waiting.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Reading this post makes me feel a whole lot better than before. I haven't really heard much myself except an automatic email; I was always under the impression that a school counselor is in demand. Well I can't wait until Cambridge to land a job than.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If you've been applying and only gotten automatic reply emails that's a problem. I know counselors that have already been hired. Counselors are defiantly in high demand.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Well I heard from a couple of schools that will like to meet at the fair. I am also concerned about this as well and have been very successful in the states with counseling. I think the issue might be my race, I think international schools look at race more than anything.

I have a proven track record in the United States and hope that schools will look at that