no nibbles so far

sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I'll start panicking in March, well maybe February. For now I am looking forward to the holidays. Worrying about a job doesn't actually make you get a job, so what's the point of worrying.

Some of my friends use job fairs, some don't but they always find jobs in good schools when they decide to leave. I use job fairs but I am aware that there are a lot of good schools which just advertise and get teachers. Some schools don't start recruiting until later in the year.

The recruitment agencies have created a bubble effect for us. They want us to feel like all the good schools are within their bubble and in order to get a job we must be a part of that bubble.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

@Senator:

I appreciate the bulk of your advice and I generally think you have a lot of good things to say. However, please don't mistake my unwillingness to endlessly argue with buffoonish trolls as my allowing myself to be bullied. In a moment of panic, I wondered if something was wrong with me. Then I remembered where the question was coming from and decided it wasn't worth pursuing any further. I'd rather converse with people who have actually worked at international schools.

After all, who is going to seriously take the advice of someone who apparently job hops every single year and "goes rogue" to job fairs to advertise for schools they have never worked at?
senator

Post by senator »

To Sevarem,
You are right. And I apologize for implying that your ignoring a rude person was weakness.

Good luck at the fair.
hallier

Post by hallier »

[quote="antitravolta"]@ hallier

The one mistake I've made from your list is heading a cover letter with "To Whom It May Concern:". I guess I need to fix that one. It wasn't out of laziness as much as not knowing who to put that I'm writing to. Should you put the head of the school as the name or the principal of your particular school (middle school for example)? This is something that differs from international schools to US schools as there are no school heads. There's just a principal. Thanks in advance for any help on this one and thanks for the very useful tips.[/quote]

My preference has been to send it to the divisional principal. I suspect that they play a big role in shortlisting anyway. Certainly was the case at my last few schools. Will also send to the HR person if they have one.

The name is not so important; rather, that u made the effort. (all my opinion, of course). I do not think a princ. will delete a letter that has the name of the head of school on it.

All the best with your applications.
Roundtrip

Post by Roundtrip »

I teach in the United States. Our principal doesn't hand out the "intent to return" sheets for us to sign until February. Our actual contracts don't come out until about three weeks before the end of the school year. Don't be discouraged. Many of the overseas schools may not know how many of their teachers will be leaving until a few months from now.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Yes but that is the US. Recruiting season for school in the US doesn't happen until around late February or March, and typically lasts until May or even June. I even got a few interviews in late July!

Overseas recruiting is happening right now. In February it'll be pretty much over. I have not been contacted by schools I've applied to but I am not discouraged - I assume most schools are waiting until they see who turns up at the big recruiting fairs in January.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with durianfan, foreign and domestic recruiting timelines are very different. Most schools in europe are usually very late int he recruiting season as well, with deadlines for returning teachers due around May. IS recruiting starts in late October, with the rush from early January to early February, over the 3 big fairs, then its just leftovers.
season4greatness

@ Sevarem

Post by season4greatness »

Nacel International School System or QSI schools (I posted a question about them before) are optional.

Check Online Education Job Fairs for various online recruitment fairs where potential candidates chat with employers.

The email address for online job fairs is:
http://www.educationjobfairs.com/nacel.
NACEL International Schools advertise that there are openings in elementary and secondary, math, science, English, social studies in South Korea, China, Turkey, and the Philippines.

Nacel Schools International's email address is:
grobertson@nacelschools.org
[b]
Sevarem, please email me at season4greatness@yahoo.com[/b] regarding QSI schools in Chengdu, CHINA.

However, you should understand that these are only suggestions, not (necessarily) recommendations, but it may give you a place or places to add to your job search.

PsychGuy, please refrain from offering your opinions on this matter, as I do not care to read your acerbic comments.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

NISS is a bottom feeder third rate internet recruiting agency. They simply plug teacher candidates into position at bottom tier schools. They are the recruiting equivalent of an ESL school putting "International" in their school name (and many of NISSs client are exactly those kind of ESL or Bilingual schools.
The whole internet interviewing while it sounds revolutionary is a joke. Skype interviews are the standard and ISs use them often.

@season4greatness

I dont want to read your marketing and advertising pitch.
season4greatness

Nacel International Schools or QSI are currently hiring

I will post this once again and as per my initial post about this subject. PsychGuy, I did not ask for your opinion.

Does [b]anyone else[/b] have information about Nacel International School System (NISS) as they are currently hiring.

Nacel International School System or QSI schools

One may also check Online Education Job Fairs for various online recruitment fairs where potential candidates chat with employers.

----://www.educationjobfairs.com/nacel.
NACEL International Schools advertise that there are openings in elementary and secondary, math, science, English, social studies in South Korea, China, Turkey, and the Philippines.

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Responding again:

NISS is a bottom feeder third rate internet recruiting agency. They simply plug teacher candidates into position at bottom tier schools. They are the recruiting equivalent of an ESL school putting "International" in their school name (and many of NISSs client are exactly those kind of ESL or Bilingual schools.
The whole internet interviewing while it sounds revolutionary is a joke. Skype interviews are the standard and ISs use them often.

@season4greatness

"My own counsel will I keep on what I do and do not reply to."
season4greatness

Happy Holidays to PsychGuy!

Nacel International School System or QSI schools (I posted a question about them before) are optional.

Check Online Education Job Fairs for various online recruitment fairs where potential candidates chat with employers.

----://www.educationjobfairs.com/nacel.

BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Hey, can you guys stop? I appreciate both of your comments, but this is getting silly.
aisha

Post by aisha »

We haven't found a job yet either and are both experienced teachers. Mind you we decided not to send out loads of emails to schools this time as we found all the work and effort didn't seem to pay off last time.

We ended up in a very good school that had contacted us at the fair. So this time we will see what happens at the fair and if we don't get anything after that will start making more of an effort. Top tier schools might get filled up before the fairs but I won't be going to one of those and there are still loads of jobs at other schools.

Happy New Year to all!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

We are going to Bangkok and will kick a few tires. Not too sure what is out there for me (20 yrs + experience in various areas internationally and Canada) and my wife (who wants to transition into teaching by volunteering, subbing, and doing a practicum connected to her certification/masters' program).

Is it common to not hear anything by the end of day 2 of the fair? If so, we are thinking we will just go sightseeing the next two days before flying out...