no nibbles so far

senator

Post by senator »

To Sevarem:

Do not feel disheartened. This international game is a crapshoot. I know first year teachers who landed at Top notch schools and excellent teachers with years of IB and AP who still have to go to job fairs EVERY TIME to get a job.

And don't think that a lot of the school heads don't enjoy this "see you at the fair...maybe" power trip. Too many of them are like this PsyGuy person: too full of themselves to demonstrate common courtesy.

Relax. You have PLENTY of time. Doors open and close, open and close continuously.

AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Sevarem, really, IT'S VERY EARLY IN THE SEASON. Relax. I turned down a couple of offers on my last search, and began to despair in April of that year of finding something I wanted, but finally found a good position when one opened up late in the school year.

There's nothing wrong with me, and nothing wrong with YOU. Some people rely on put-downs to reassure themselves.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes I asked what's wrong, be use something has to be wrong. A high level experienced math teacher with a teaching spouse is platinum. So something has to be wrong. I'm not interested in making people feel better about themselves, or having a sympathy/pity .. I care about the data, and the most likely point of error is with the source, in this case that's the candidate.it would be irresponsible to not ask that question. It's just like when a woman goes to the doctor complaining of abdominal pain, and cramping, it doesn't matter how old she is, or her marital situation, you have to ask if there sexually active and you do a pregnancy test. It's just part of the differential. If your a teacher and I'm interviewing you, it doesn't matter if your 50 years old, married, a woman, were teacher of the year, and have two kids of your own. I HAVE to ask if you've every been convicted of a crime involving children.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

This coming Friday is the day we have to say whether we are staying or going at my school.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Sevarem, if it makes you feel any better, my husband is an experienced chemistry teacher and I'm a librarian in addition to teaching English and Elementary. I think antitravolta teaches math. DCGirl said shes been talking with a teacher in a high-need field. None of us has gotten much interest. If there's something wrong with you, it must be a plague because we're right there with you.

Having said that, I have noticed more activity since December began. Someone in Europe actually looked at our website. (They haven't contacted us; I just saw the stats.) There seem to be more definite vacancies popping up. I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling, but I think we all just have to be patient right now. Even though it sucks.
senator

Post by senator »

Psyguy:

So now you are putting your advice and its consequences on line with that of a doctor?
Are you serious?
And you continue to believe - and state publicly - that something MUST be wrong with this teacher because, I guess, if the wise and wonderful school heads don't want you there must be something wrong?!!!

Just stop writing and talking on this thread - unless you want to apologize for your shockingly rude insult.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="BookshelfAmy"]Sevarem, if it makes you feel any better, my husband is an experienced chemistry teacher and I'm a librarian in addition to teaching English and Elementary. I think antitravolta teaches math. DCGirl said shes been talking with a teacher in a high-need field. None of us has gotten much interest. If there's something wrong with you, it must be a plague because we're right there with you.

Having said that, I have noticed more activity since December began. Someone in Europe actually looked at our website. (They haven't contacted us; I just saw the stats.) There seem to be more definite vacancies popping up. I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling, but I think we all just have to be patient right now. Even though it sucks.[/quote]

Yep, I'm math. If anything, this thread is making me feel better. If I leave the job fair without an offer, I'll start stressing (yes, I know a lot of offers come a few weeks after). Until then, I'm busy enough with my current school and getting out applications for next year that I don't have much time to stress. I am forming a strong hatred for the schools that make you fill out their application instead of the one on Search Associates.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

There are several positive, uplifting people in this thread. Thank you for helping me to calm down and look at things a bit more objectively.

@antitravolta:

I hear you on those alternative applications. A few of them haven't been so bad. AS Dubai's took all of five minutes. But one particular application took a ridiculous amount of time, something like 5+ hours (spread over a few days) for what they wanted. For a third tier school that doesn't pay all that way, it seemed... odd.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I wont do a schools online applications. Maybe if its 5-10 minutes and its a school that hasnt already contacted me and I would really be interested in the school, but that issue hasnt even come up yet.

Ive had several school contacts, a several interviews, and an offer already this year, with another im expecting.

@senator

Yes im making an - with that of a doctor, its why its called an -.

Yes if the heads dont want you there is something wrong with you, thats the de-facto definition of having something wrong with you.

There are only 3 sources for lack of success:

1: The Candidate
2: The System
3: The Recruiter

AND its NEVER the recruiter. You dont go into an interview with a contract you wrote and say "if you want me as a teacher at your school this is my contract offer". The recruiters have the jobs, the contracts, and the money. They decide if they want you, and you decide if you accept, not the other way around.
hallier

Post by hallier »

I would never have posed that 1st question - "what's wrong with you?" - simply because it is likely to cause offense and is unduly provocative.

However, one question you should be asking is - "is there anything wrong with the content or presentation of my applications?"

It can not hurt to look hypercritically at your application and see if there is anything in it (content and/or presentation) that is harming your chances.

I work at a pretty sought after school in SE Asia and had a chat with my divisional principal about the recruiting process.

He is being swamped by applications and spoke about some of the mistakes that many teachers are making.

A few that I remember are:

- letters that start with Dear Principal etc etc. His philosophy is that if they have not bothered to find out my name (it's on the website) then he is not going to proceed further.

- letters that have spelling errors. Common spelling mistakes are of his name, the school, words like "elementary" etc etc. He says he receives dozens like this. I remember helping review applications for Business Management positions a few years ago. It amazed me how many teachers could not spell "business" - buisiness was the most common mistake!

- letters/CVs where the applicant, again, can not seem to write coherent sentences and/or does not seem to be able to use a word processing application.

- letters that are clearly generic. It does not take long to at least put the name of the school or region in the letter.

- CVs that are not up to date and have gaps

- CVs that are over the top, providing lists of information about everything the teacher has done since high school (some include high school information). My principal is happy to look at a 2-3 page CV but only if the information is being presented in an easy to read format, and is relevant.

- letters that do not show off the applicant's key strengths. Again, these ones tend to be generic. He recommends listing (even using bullets) those qualities you have that make you employable. (years of international teaching experience; IB training; commitment to Inquiry teaching; training and experience in teaching ELL learners). Bang. Bang. Bang. Down the page.

I am not saying that you are doing any of these things. But it can not hurt to take a very close look at the package you are sending the schools. Once, I sent a bunch off with the wrong phone number. It can happen!

I am not sure of your background in international education; however, if you have one, I would take advantage of every contact you have.

It must be frustrating for folks new to the scene, but the value of 'having connections' can not be understated. Nor can the need to avoid, as much as humanly possible, ever, ever, ever burning your bridges at your current school. Because the recommendations can work in the opposite way too.

I have been in the market for 10 years now, and know teachers at dozens of schools (probably more).

If I knew they respected my work, I would contact them and think about whether to name check them at the start of your letter, or at least ask them to send a quick email to the administrator recommending that they take a close look at my application.

It is one way to stand out from the crowd - as I said, these admin are getting deluged with emails at this time of the year.

At my current school, the admin specifically ask teachers to recommend good teachers we have worked with in the past to them (and those teachers to the school).

I would suggest that a large % of the early "Skype" hires at my school this year have been recommended to the admin by existing teachers, or have some sort of connection with the school (such as being employed at a school where the administrator worked in the past).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

All the best with your job hunting. I am sure something will come up soon:)
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I agree with hallier. At my school, some people have done Skype interviews and some have jobs already. Most of the interviews have been because of them knowing someone who is at the school. They always talk of the teacher network. I think that the majority of early recruitment is due to this.

After that, the schools start looking more intently at the CVs they have received or the ones on Search.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

@Hallier:

Our experience in international education thus far isn't vast, but I will keep that excellent advice in mind for the future.

Luckily I have managed to avoid all of those egregious resume mistakes, but I really like the tip about a bullet pointed cover letter. I'm going to retool my cover letter using that idea and see how it looks.

Thanks for taking the time to write out something so thoughtful.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

So for those of us who live in the States, have no teacher network, and didn't get into one of the big job fairs... what are our chances?

NOW I'm feeling nervous. We are in fairly high-need fields, though. Fingers crossed our resumes are at the bottom of a very short pile.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

No need to be nervous, it just means you probably won't get a job early in the recruiting season, not that you won't get a good job.

I am in a 'top tier' school and didn't know anyone here, we were just a good fit for the school at the time. Now we are leaving and don't want to be in a similar sort of school so my recent contacts won't help as they all went to similar schools to this one. Though the heads tends to have contacts in lot of schools so that may come in handy.

Majority of people get jobs around the time that job fairs start or later in the year, not before. I am going to a job fair and probably will get something there. And if not, there will still be 6 months left to find a job.

I like this forum but it sometimes makes us feel like everyone but us is inundated with interviews and job offers and that just isn't true. A few people are but most of us aren't.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Thank you. I might have to take a break from the forums. They're giving me emotional whiplash.