What if the new school has not contacted you?

sfbrayuk

What if the new school has not contacted you?

Post by sfbrayuk »

I signed a contract a little less than a week ago, but I have not heard a word from the new school. What is the average amount of time before I should expect to hear something? How often do schools sign contracts with teachers and then back out? Would they even tell me if they had a change of heart? Not hearing from anyone leaves me with an uneasy feeling.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Whens your report date? If its mid year (January) they should be in contact with you daily. If its August, i wouldnt worry too much, most schools are in recruiting mode, and they dont hand off logistics until they have a bigger batch of new hires to process which they like to do at the same time.

Schools back out of contracts all the time. Its pretty easy for them to claim something in your background, or a visa/immigration problem or "organizational" issues if they find someone better, or the owners sons girlfriend wants your job, or a teacher decides not to leave, or the school doesnt reach its enrollment goal. The paid side of this website is full of reports of schools that break contract all the time.

Heres a link to a recent school that broke contract at BIS (Bavarian International School). The agencies SA/ISS almost never do anything about it, and you dont have any real legal recourse.

In all fairness its a fairly unusual occurrence. While most schools have broken a contract at one time or another, for the most part a school is going to honor its contracts.
sfbrayuk

should I contact them?

Post by sfbrayuk »

Thanks for the feedback. I am curious if you think it would be a good idea or a bad idea to contact the school to inquire. To answer the question about when is the reporting date; not until July 22.

It is unnerving to have finally made it this far but to still feel very uncertain as to whether or not I am really hired since I have not heard back from them.

Can you tell this is my first time. I really feel like a virgin and it is not comfortable.
sid

Post by sid »

Breathe.
Congratulations on getting a contract.
This is your first time and currently the most important and exciting thing in your life.
For the school, they have done this hundreds or thousands of times. It is not exciting, though certainly it is important to them.
It is very early in the recruiting season. Your school is likely very happy to have you, and at the same time you represent just one tick in a long list of people to hire. Once they have all or most hired, likely in late February, they will switch from 'hiring' mode to 'moving all those people' mode. That's when you'll start getting much more frequent communication.
To ease your mind, write a quick note to the school and ask when you can expect to hear from them with the details of the moving/preparation process. Don't pressure them to make it soon, just ask so that you can be at ease in the quiet period between now and then. Ask if there is anything you should be doing at this point. Probably there won't be, but maybe you could start collecting notarized or attested documents if they need those.
Breathe. It's early.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I would send them an email explaining your going to be attending to holiday events, and ask if there is anything you should be doing.

If you need something to do, I would start on getting apostiled copies of your degree, teaching certificate, and an FBI background check. Make sure your passport is up to date, and prepare your visa application, and make sure you have scanned copies of all your important travel documents. Its the end of the year so id check what immunizations are reccommnded for your country by the CDC and make an appointment to get those done before the end of the year since your insurance deductible is probably covered. If your taking a pet then start working on what you have to do to minimize the work in the future.

If you have a home and other property or financial affairs, you can start thinking about what your going to do with your house, cars, etc. Still have nervous energy, you can start boxing up and packing the stuff that your not really using.
sfbrayuk

excellent advice

Post by sfbrayuk »

Do you have any idea how nice it is to hear from some people that have done this before and know what they are talking about?

I have started selling some of my furniture; that may be what is causing my anxiety. I start thinking "what am I doing?" "what if they don't call me back and follow through after the contract signing?" and there I am with no furniture. I even am listing my house next week. This is really a walk of faith that the school will hold good on the deal. We did sign the contract. They did take me out for dinner afterwards. Is that enough to seal the deal.... guess I just have to believe that it is.

OK then, working on my side of things I will continue to do. Breathing might be a good place to start and continue to do as I watch my things walk out the door, get my documents in order and begin sorting through my personal effects for selling, storage and what comes with me.

God I hope this is not some kind of dream or worse, a joke. I think I need to send a little email that has not pressure but just an inquiry.

Ahhhhh!
micki0624

Re: Reply

Post by micki0624 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Whens your report date? If its mid year (January) they should be in contact with you daily. [/quote]

Ours is a mid year contract, we have gotten everything we can at this point as far as paperwork goes so what daily emails should we be receiving?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

A little background first, the easiest hire for a recruiter to process is called a "hand off hire" (HOH). This means that once the contract is signed the recruiter (school) wants to do as little as possible until the teacher is in country. The reason is that it minimizes the costs asscociated with the risk of hiring a teacher. The biggest fear an admin has once the contract is signed is that the teacher will not get on the plane. This isnt a very common hire type of hire, and to do it you need the following:

1) A country that has a landing visa and the school can convert a landing visa to a work visa in country.
2) Immigration requires only a non certified/un apostiled copy of a degree for a work visa for an employees work visa application
3) There is no CBC (Criminal Background Check) or medical examination requirement.
4) The teacher makes their own travel arrangements and is reimbursed by the school.
5) The contract has a non penalty exit clause work permission can not be obtained or the teacher misrepresented themselves. (This allows the school to be utterly lazy, and do nothing until the teacher arrives and if they cant get a work visa or something negative comes up in the teachers application (certification, transcripts, degree, CBC, medical exam, etc) the school can terminate you immediately and owe you nothing.

Even in that scenario, I would still WANT my HR department to email you about confirming the travel and moving allowances, and I at the very least with less then 30 days before you report I would NEED to know when your arriving (even if the school isnt going to pick you up, and doesnt need to arrange temporary housing or your apartment) at the very least they NEED and HAVE to know when they can expect you in the classroom, and HR is going to have to keep emailing/contacting you until you have confirmed and finalized travel tickets. They are going to want to know your flight number, arrival time and date, and reservation number. So that they can actually verify that you bought the tickets.

Of course good school have a lot of other tasks they need to do, and those tasks are going to have costs associated with them. everything from buying tickets, and getting documents for your visa process, to making sure they have a big enough vehicle to pick you, your family and all their luggage up at the airport.
sfbrayuk

that was great

Post by sfbrayuk »

Thanks for taking the time to lay that all out like you dd. I am hoping this is as good of a school as I think they are and they will help me through the process like they said they would.

There is so much risk involved and an amazing walk of faith to jump ship on a comfortable life in the USA to a new international life some where you know nothing about.

I guess I have to just trust this is all going to work out and they WILL contact me eventually.