Where can I teach next year?

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I hold every contributor and reader on this forum with a great deal of respect, and in so doing when asked I reply directly. I reply as I would a trusted friend who just wants a straight answer.
People dont want to have to read between the lines, they dont want their egos stroked. They want information and responses that are actionable; Yes/No, should I or shouldnt I, what does this mean, what is the probability of this happening or this happening, whats this school like, pros/cons.

The family situation of one teacher and 3 dependents is not slightly less employable, its a significant and major logistical factor, for an elementary school teacher.

Every teacher thinks they are special, but again this isnt about ego. The pool of elementary teachers is quite large compared to other subject teachers, every one of them as special as the others. This is about numbers though, quantities, the economics. It isnt about individual differences and special qualities.

yes i was dismissive of the ESL qualifications. Such qualifications as TESOL/Delta/Cambridge, etc are dismissed by recruiters and schools, they arent worth anything. If a school hires you with such an ESl qualification they would have hired you without one, they arent worth anything. Thats just the way it is.

Why, i like to be in the classroom, thats where the teaching happens.

This forum isnt about "making a contribution to the international community" the vast majority of posts and questions received are job related. Once in a while we get a parent who wants to know which school is better for her kids, the rest of the time its all about the jobs.

No one is perfect, the issues as often presented on this forum are how does my degree of imperfection compare to the imperfections of others.

I really appreciate your response though, it was thoughtful and as honest as I would be.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

I have a non-teaching spouse but no kids. A non-teaching spouse does make it more difficult, of course depending on what they're qualified to do, but two or even one child can be a deal breaker.

You definitely have to box clever and look for regions or schools that have difficulty attracting staff. Three regions that come to mind: Central Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Some countries in South America, like Colombia, also come to mind. I've taught in Cali, and while it has a bad reputation, we never felt in any danger while we lived there ('99 to '01). We had a great time there and it's a place I'd go back to.

From my perspective you have to weigh up whether you're happy to end up in some interesting but perhaps less desirable places earning a live-able but not fantastic salary. If it's the experience you're after then you'll definitely find a job, but if it's a good package that you're after in the hope of making money I think you may be disappointed.

One other thing to bear in mind. While you may want to be an elementary homeroom teacher, be willing to take on other roles, eg ESL or Special Needs. Schools in unusual places value multifaceted individuals.

Our experience has been that communities in difficult places often have a richness and a closeness that those in large western cities don't have. You're likely to make some of your best friends and have some of your happiest memories living there.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Yep, as long as you keep your options completely open, and you are patient, you will likely get some interviews.

Does your husband work? That could soften the blow considerably if you are working with a not so fantastic salary.

As mentioned, some of these places that may not be at the top of your list can end up being great places to work and grow w your family.