Do teachers get drug tested when hired?

Elwood

Do teachers get drug tested when hired?

Post by Elwood »

I have been teaching for 5 years now and I am thinking about going international. Do schools drug test new hires?

Specifically, American Schools.

Thanks
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I think it depends on the country, not necessarily the school. China and Korea for sure do drug tests.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes schools do drug tests, either because they are required from a government agency or because the school wants to get rid of some teachers. It's more common in Asia, including Thailand, China, Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore. When a school chooses to do its usually near the end of the year.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Nine years teaching in China and yet to be drug tested.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I have never been drug tested by a school but I know a friend in Germany said it is done there.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

'Yes schools do drug tests, either because they are required from a government agency or because the school wants to get rid of some teachers. It's more common in Asia, including Thailand, China, Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore. When a school chooses to do its usually near the end of the year.'

'Nine years teaching in China and yet to be drug tested.'

More sensationalist gossip-mongering nonsense from WhyGuy? It is NOT more common in any of the schools in Thailand either! He's basing this solely from someone who's school was (supposedly) tested and posted this on here. I've never heard this happen anywhere else in Thailand, and it is HIGHLY unlikely (though, never say never).

I really wish he would take a sabbatical - for a decade or two!
senator

Post by senator »

10 years in China and Malaysia and never drug tested.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

4 years in Thailand, never been drug tested.
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

No, I base my posts on actual experiences or from those reported from trusted sources.
BIS (Phuket), in June 2012 drug tested their teachers and terminated 10 of them. You can Google the report/story.

To clarify, its more common in some parts of Asia, but overall its a very uncommon event. You could go your entire career and never get drug trusted, it does however happen (and I PERSONALLY know it happens in HK)
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

It happened to me in the Middle East and it was the school not the country that did it before I arrived.