Airfare and Extra Baggage

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

My list was typical of a provided apartment in S.K., but I cant agree with sid, as its also typical of many schools globally. What hes correct about is that yes there are schools that supply everything (there are serviced apartments in many major cities that do as well), but they are the exception not the rule.

Furnished means different things in different countries. You typically see 4 type of apartments:

1) Unfurnished: Means walls, floor, roof, heating, cooling, electricity, plumbing (Sinks, toilets) some light fixures. No major appliances or furniture.

2) Semi-Furnished: The same as unfurnished but includes major appliances.

3) Furnished: Same as semi-furnished but includes furniture.

4) Serviced (also called executive or corporate apartments): Pretty much move in ready. They have everything.

Of course if your on a housing allowance you can rent however "much" an apartment you want, though you may exceed your housing allowance and have to pay out of salary the difference.

Lastly, if your so tight on money that the idea of a couple bags for baggage is going to break the bank. You need to be upfront with your school, about your situation and agree to an advance, and/or reimbursement upon landing. Its going to be at least a month before your first paych eck and even if they fully furnish your apartment, your still going to have expenses. Everything from school uniforms and supplies to transportation and mobile phones and food to toiletries.
Typically a school will havea welcome basket for you with some things to get you through a day or two, but dont expect that your going to be treated like a corporate executive and have everything "taken care of". Your not going to have an expense account and a corporate credit card. Your moving, and your going to have a lot of the initial expenses that come with moving anywhere.

@mysharona

Well I checked those and they both provide the first bag free, and $70 for the second bag and the third for $100. Interestingly flying to Japan (NRT) got you two bags at no cost.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Take care with bringing bags from Australia or Europe - they are not nearly as generous. A US teacher stopped over in Germany. When he got on the next leg of his flight, he was stung for over 1000 euros in excess baggage.

My motto, for what it's worth is to travel light.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

For travel to or from North America, you may get 2 bags free. For travel anywhere else you get one bag. This has been my experience.

If you change airlines you may have to pay excess, even if you paid it on the first airline. Just check first. Sometimes the cheapest flights aren't so cheap in the long run.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sangster2

[quote]If you change airlines you may have to pay excess, even if you paid it on the first airline.[/quote]

No, your wrong.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

Second paragraph, last sentence:

"Information on baggage fees also must be included on all e-ticket confirmations, and for most trips the same baggage allowances and fees must apply throughout a passenger’s journey."
hallier

Re: Reply

Post by hallier »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@Sangster2

[quote]If you change airlines you may have to pay excess, even if you paid it on the first airline.[/quote]

No, your wrong.

----://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

Second paragraph, last sentence:

"Information on baggage fees also must be included on all e-ticket confirmations, and for most trips the same baggage allowances and fees must apply throughout a passenger’s journey."[/quote]

Again, that may be true in the USA. But a friend changed airlines in Europe and got well and truly hosed. Definitely should check with airlines and do research before flying.

Back to the OP. I am confused that a reputable school in Korea has not laid this all out 4 u.