Airfare and Extra Baggage

micki0624

Airfare and Extra Baggage

Post by micki0624 »

Am I correct to assume that most schools pay for your airfare upfront?

Also, what about the extra baggage? Would the school pay for that? I don't have a clue what it would cost to bring 8 suitcases for a family of 3, but we don't have much money at this point in time and am afraid of the baggage costs. (I know that it goes by weight, but I honestly have no clue on what to expect!)
hallier

Re: Airfare and Extra Baggage

Post by hallier »

[quote="micki0624"]Am I correct to assume that most schools pay for your airfare upfront?

Also, what about the extra baggage? Would the school pay for that? I don't have a clue what it would cost to bring 8 suitcases for a family of 3, but we don't have much money at this point in time and am afraid of the baggage costs. (I know that it goes by weight, but I honestly have no clue on what to expect!)[/quote]

Do you have your position yet? If so, all this should have been outlined to you.

In my experience, flights are always covered. Schools either buy the ticket for you, or offer you an allowance, or tell you to buy the ticket within a certain price range, and then reimburse you upon arrival.

As for shipping, most schools provide either a shipping allowance, or they provide a settling in allowance that can be used to cover things such as excess baggage. Some offer both.

Good luck!
Last edited by hallier on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

I've worked at schools that bought my flight and sent me an e-ticket, as well as schools that asked me to purchase a ticket and then reimbursed me when I arrived. There's pros and cons of both.

Similarly, I've been at schools that offered a shipping allowance and schools that didn't. In that case, I was given a one time relocation allowance/fund that was supposed to cover the extra costs of moving, like excess baggage.
sid

Post by sid »

Schools take different routes. Most contracts worth taking include flights and a shipping allowance, but they can structure payment in several ways, as has already been pointed out. In my experience, you cannot tell good schools from bad schools just by which payment structure they use.
Best case, and very rare, you are given a pre-paid flight ticket and a pre-paid shipping allowance. Pre-paid flights are common, though quite a few schools do not provide them. Pre-paid shipping is quite rare.
Worst case, you pay for both flight and shipping up front, and get reimbursed once you arrive. Reimbursement can take time, and how much depends on the school. Ideally it should be within a week of your arrival, but the paperwork and red tape can take up to a month or six weeks.

You should know that you will also be facing other expenses associated with moving. No matter how good the shipping allowance and the housing you're given, you will still need to buy many things. For instance, stocking the kitchen with all the staples you normally just replenish every few months. How much does it cost to buy one of every grocery item at the same time? And you'll need some furnishings (a coat rack, an extra garbage can, a bedside table, shoe racks, linens in higher quality than the school supplies, whatever it is that you need to have to make the house a home). And a car, bought, rented or paid as taxi fees. Deposit on tv cable package. A good drill so you can hang your artwork. Lots of little things like that.

My point is, even if flight and shipping are covered in advance, and especially if they're not, do not underestimate what it costs to move. Ideally you need a cash float to cover you, and otherwise you need access to short-term credit like a credit card.

Many people I've spoken with agree that it is typical for the entirety of your salaries to go towards settling in expenses for the first several months on the job (by repaying your credit card or replacing the money in the cash float). And then it'll be Christmas, and your extra will go to holiday travel or celebrations. So it could be the new year before you can realistically start saving anything, or even be able to cover your mortgage/loan payments back home. Of course it all depends on how frugal you are, how high your salary is, how much you are willing to delay getting the extra niceties for your new home...

Don't get me wrong. I love the overseas life, and in the long-term it is generally a much better financial deal than working in the US or UK. But that first step is expensive.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

One school I was at gave $3000 to a couple for settling in allowance and around $2000 for baggage/shipping whether you actually used it or not.

They put all new staff in the Hilton for 2 weeks. We ended up staying for 3 as we couldn't move into our new place. We presumed we would have to pay for the extra week but the school did. We were also given a daily food allowance for our stay at the hotel which we went over as we ate in the hotel all the time and the school just paid everything. We rented a furnished apartment so didn't spend much at all in the beginning.

Another school put us straight in an apartment which was barely furnished but we had shipping and settling in allowance. We were also given a car loan which you could have whether you got a car or not.

Many schools will give you an interest free loan if you are really desperate.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with sid's reply. The good schools/tier 1 schools will provide you a prepaid flight, and its very common. Its the lower tier schools that want to reimburse, they want something to hold over you when things dont turn out the way they promised. Its not uncommon to have to wait weeks or months to be reimbursed. The other problem these schools have is that they promise one thing and the teacher finds out otherwise and then doesnt show, in this case the schools out the airfare. They dont want to invest in anything that they might lose out on when it comes to money, they want the teacher to absorb all the risks.
It is becoming less common for schools to provide airfare for dependents, though the top tier schools will typically absorb some if not all of the dependent airfares.
In addition to flight, shipping, and moving/settleing in costs, you will also have visa and documentation costs to absorb before your trip. Some visas can run $150 each. This is in addition to getting documents apostiled, medical exams and lab work.

Schools typically provide some form of relocation allowance. This goes by several names, moveing, settleing in, etc. Moving allowances are for moving stuff from your home location to your schools. Settling in allowances are typically a cash allowance to buy things for your new home, including kitchenware, linens etc. Relocation allowances is usually an allowance that covers airfare, temporary housing, baggage, freight, etc. You get a set amount and determine how to spend it.

In addition to all the things you need to buy for a new home such as linens, bedding, kitchen ware, sundries, mobile phones (and service), etc. Your children will also need school supplies and perhaps uniforms. You will most likely need to invest in some supplies as a teacher as well for work.
In regards to housing, good schools will "guarantee" you for the real estate company, utilities and landlord, otherwise you may have additional fees that will exceed your monthly housing allowance. Be sure to factor in transportation as well.
Schools are getting tighter with their temporary housing, some schools give only a week, some more. Having provided housing is a convenience early on, but long term you may be unsatisfied, without an option to change.

For international travel the vast majority of airlines still give you the first 2 bags free, typically 65 cubic inches per bag and 50 lbs. Additional bags are around $100 a piece.
You can use a freight service or use a shipping service to send bulk items, but understand the cheapest services employ cargo ships, and this can take a very long time (months). You may also have to physically pick up your items at customs and the port of entry, which if your a distance inland may be a lot of work and inconvenient.
Typically a school requires receipts and reimburses you, this again can take weeks or months. You may have to wait until you get your resident card before you can pick your items up. You may also have to pay duty on items you ship into the country.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

Here's the issue...a school may offer us a contract to start in January and we have nothing done. We were planning on going to Boston if need be but this is one of our top schools we would like to be at.

We will find out this week. I do not even know about the Visa at this point. I am thinking the school would know all there is to know if they are willing to bring us on at this point in the year (yes, I know not all schools do).

Any thoughts? BTW this is a Korean school.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Do not count on getting your first two bags free. That perk is quickly disappearing so make sure you check prior to packing. The cost of extra bags has gone up considerably as well, you might get the first extra bag for $100 but the second and above will probably be more.

The biggest problem with shipping is the timing, and not necessarily what was hinted at above-the length of time it takes for something to move by sea. You often can't take possession of your goods until you have a work permit, and that can take several months. Meanwhile you were on the ball and got your stuff shipped but now its sitting in the port costing you money for them to store it until your work permit is issued.

I would also like to pipe in on the cost of setting up a new residence, it can be incredibly expensive. I usually write off that first 6 months as zero savings months as we try to get everything and everyone sorted out. It can be a little disheartening at points but we've always gotten through it.

Some schools will just hand you a wad of walking around cash when you get off the plane, that has happened to us twice. It certainly took some pressure off those first few days.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

We contacted the airline before we left last time and they had a different fee for extra suitcases when you prepaid online. You paid nearly twice as much if you just turned up with the suitcases on the day. Seems like a lot of airlines have this policy so check beforehand.

We had intended to ship but took our stuff with us instead as there wasn't that much savings when shipping and our things were with us from the start.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Im a single guy and dont have a family. When I move to a new school I take three bags. The only things i ship are seasonal clothing, replacement vitamins, (and MAYBE my ski gear or scuba gear, depending on location. My ski gear didnt cost much and took it with me to Denmark, for a single ski trip. In Thailand I shipped my scuba gear, which was horribly expensive considering I only went diving a couple times).

Its not worth it in most cases to ship household things. Either you have to do without the item for a long wait, or you have to buy something to use in the mean time. For instance take your kitchen, which is one of the most expensive and early things you need to furnish. You need (at a minimum):

Sauce Pans
Skillet/Saute/Fry Pan
Pasta Pot/Dutch Oven
Sheet Pan
Baking Dish
Mixing/Prep Bowl
Service set (Plates, Bowls, Cups)
Flat wear (knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks)
Kitchen knives (a chefs knife, and a pairing/utility knife)
Cutting Board
Mixing spoon/Serving spoon
Whisk
Colander
Can Opener
Cork Screw
Rolling Pin
Measuring cups (and unless you bring them from home, get use to metric)
Water pitcher
Soap/Dish detergent/towels/rags
Kettle

Thats a lot of stuff and easily several hundred dollars to half a grand, and is not counting the kitchen appliances like a coffee maker, mixer, electric can opener, food processor, etc. Your kitchen is likely to include a sink, a couple of stove burners, a microwave (small like 600 watts), refrigerator (which will be smaller then your use too), water dispenser, and maybe (big maybe an oven). You will not have a dishwasher (unless you get a housing allowance and you specifically look for an upper end apartment that has one). The refrigerator is likely to be smaller then your use too. Single door, small freezer compartment, and is more of a chill box then a refrigerator. It wont be a double door wide style that you can stock a months worth of groceries in.
Thats just the Kitchen... Now multiply that by the bedrooms, living room, bathrooms. Your bedrooms will have a bed/mattress (dont bother bringing fitted sheets, they wont fit) a dresser/armoire and a closet (maybe a night stand). You will need sheets, pillows, blankets, comforter, alarm clocks. You might like to have reading lights, clothes hamper, chairs, a desk/work area, television, etc.
Your living room will have a television, maybe a stereo, sofa, lamps, chair, coffee table, maybe an end table.Your dining room could be anything from nothing to a card table and some plastic chairs to a wood/stone table seating 8.
You will of course need to get all those things for your bathroom from towels and toilet paper to shampoo, antiperspirant, shaving cream and mouthwash. Its very unlikely you will be able to find your favorite/preferred brands in everything you use.

Outside of a few things like laptops, electric razors, many electronics are not compatible (such as game consoles), or the cost to ship them (such as a large flat screen television, desktop television) or are about equal to the price of buying them new.

You must also consider the return/onward cost of shipping your items at the end of the contract (if you leave). At most schools the moving allowance is a one time sum and you dont know what your next school will provide as far as a moving allowance.

@mysharona

I could not find a single major airline flying from the USA to Seoul/S.Korea that didnt provide the first 2 checked bags at no cost.
sid

Post by sid »

I don't know if PG is referring to just Korea or worldwide when he gives that list of what will not be in your apartment, and what will be there in lesser form than Westerners are used to. If it's Korea, I defer. I have no knowledge.
But worldwide, many of those things are often provided, and whether they are or aren't is very individual to specific schools and locations. Teachers in my current school, and most in my current country, get everything on PG's 'no' list. Full size fridges, microwaves, bedding, tvs, linens, pots and pans... it's all there. In theory teachers don't need to buy anything in terms of setting up a house, except of course food and toiletries. In reality, most everyone buys tons because they want to turn their house into a home, but it's an option, not a requirement.
So, make sure to ask your new school exactly what will be in the provided apartment. It could vary from almost nothing to just about everything. Most often it's somewhere in the middle.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Agree with Sid. We're on our third apartment in Cairo and almost everything has been provided. We've still spent a fair bit of money on making it home though.

Same experience in Japan (although the apartments were company owned) and Taiwan.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

PsyGuy-Try United and Air Canada

We have always had the major furnishings provided buy everything else has been on us-from kitchen stuff to bedding and bathroom stuff to electronics. We have a place in the states so bringing everything we needed just wasn't feasible. As everyone has said, its very school specfic.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

If you are new to overseas I say take as much as you can in your air shipment/baggage but if you are a lifer then buy and ship. I did the '3 bag move' a few times and got tired of that. Now I just take it all with me. When I've added up shipping allowances I have always come out on top.

I have sent my stuff around the world a couple of times and if you send in mid-June it is usually there for you by the end of August. A couple of weeks of discomfort but worth it to have my things and not have to make 20 trips to IKEA to get it all again.

Every top tier school I've worked at has paid for a ticket up front. Most for profits don't.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Glerky: do you use a specific company to ship your goods? I've also done the nightmare shopping trips to IKEA- sans car and carrying it on public transport is not fun.

I'd also like to mention that when joining a new school, try to contact staff who are leaving and see if you can buy some stuff off of them. I bought various large furniture from departing staff, so it was already moved into my flat when I arrived in the country. They just emailed me photos and prices and it was all quite straightforward. Very convenient if you know you're going to have a flat available but it is unfurnished/minimally furnished.

In terms of flight and shipping allowance, I've had to pay for it myself at all of my schools, and then I got reimbursed after showing receipts- about 1-3 weeks later, depending on how organized the school was. So you definitely need a chunk of change to get you by the first three months or so.

In terms of shipping, most schools have encouraged me to go the 'extra baggage fee' route as opposed to shipping. They says it's easier (it's not imo) and you're less likely to lose things. I have also used the good old-fashioned regular national post office (cheapest method- surface mail) to ship my non-urgent school supply stuff (posters, etc...). I just wrap it in brown paper and then wrap the crap out of it in clear packing tape so it's 'waterproof' and fairly indestructible. Then, depending on the country, it can take between a month - three months to arrive. I've mailed big packages this way over 5 times in various continents and the only time something didn't arrive, was when mailed from Western Europe, of all places. Of course I 'misplaced' (aka-lost) my receipt so wasn't able to track it's whereabouts...