Job hunting advice requested by a NQT!

Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I disagree with Dave's assessment of how the Chinese give their professional 'license' to foreigners. Yes, the foreign expert certificate is stronger, but I received one in Beijing and one in Shanghai before I had my teaching diploma. I had teaching experience though.

The qualification is a Bachelor's degree, and 2 years of ANY semi related experience. Els, industry experience count for the certificate, school just has to say so. As far as most governments are concerned, employment decisions are the company's problem, and they will only interfere in security situations.

Schools that say otherwise are politely saying you are not experienced by their standards in my opinion. Or their HR department really don't know how to do their job. I recall a situation where a friend transferred from a crappier school in Beijing to one of the better ones. HR in the good school was telling him he would have to go back home, do this and that etc etc, then come and get a new foreign experts certificate. He complained to old HR, and she told new HR what to give her, then she went to get the new visa and transfer the foreign experts certificate, then sent them the bill. All documents done within a week.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

[quote="Deckard"][quote="danny514"]I was hired by an international school in China while only halfway through my Bachelor of Education degree - in other words, I had zero post-certification experience and was still several months from being qualified.

That said, the school that hired me is 3rd tier, though they pay just as much as many 1st tier schools and workload is much lighter.[/quote]

Danny514,
I'm starting a teacher certification program in February so it's interesting to hear you were able to find a teaching position while still working on your Education degree. I've received some good advice about Mexico being a place to look, but have not heard the same about China. Just wondering if you would be willing to share any advice on conducting a job search in China before one has a teaching cert (I have a Bachelor's Degree in English, a TEFL cert, and am looking to teach secondary English)? Did you apply directly to schools before you left your home country? Or did you go to China and visit schools in person?[/quote]

Its all about being in the right place at the right time. I was hired at my current school in Shanghai through the Search Associates fair in Toronto. Despite being only halfway through my Bachelor of Education degree, the recruiters seemed almost desperate to hire me. Probably because I was the only teacher they hired at the fair (and the recruiters didn't want to come back to the board of directors empty handed).

The school is Cambridge International Centre of Shanghai Normal University, and they are recruiting now. Its not an ideal school (the reviews on this site sum it up pretty well) but the pay is fine, Shanghai can be an exciting place to live for a couple of years, and you'll get valuable experience.

I was issued a Foreign Expert Certificate based on 2+ years of EFL teaching (before I became certified). Although the 2 years experience is a requirement, it seems very loosely enforced. Much depends on the relationship between your school and the immigration authorities.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Amybeth

The 5 year deadline is tough in some subject areas (such as music and primary). I see two roads for you to choose:

1) Youd be better off staying locally and completing your QTS and getting some years of experience so that you can look at decent 2nd tier schools, when your entering the IT market. music teachers need to be able to do everything and that includes planing for several recitals each year and aiding the theater department with their productions. Schools look for experience in doing that, and its highly unlikely you have any significant experience in that, which is going to make it a very hard sell to a decent school.
The second issue your going to have is your performance focus, some schools look for vocals/choral music teachers, and some are more orchestra and big band schools. Generalist who dont focus arent as competitive.

2) You should look into an overseas internship program. Its the best way youll get yourself into a OfQual school so that you can get IS experience and complete your NQT year. SA has an internship program that they run (but it costs money). TES is another good resource that i would recommend. Contacting your university to see if they have any sister/leader school relationships would be another outlet. I would also contact COBIS and see if they have any leads for you.

@wntriscoming

What i posted is true, researched, and backed up from my personal experience, we disagree, and we disagree because you are wrong.

The issue isnt whether an IS WILL get you a visa, but whether they can. The 2 years of experience for an IS and i do mean real ISs not ELL is a standard entry for an IT, it has no relevance on whether immigration will or will not issue one.
Your error is confusing the two seperate issues. While ELL and IS teaching are very different froma professional standpoint, they are not when it comes to immigration and labor issues regarding visa. If an ELL school can get a visa, an IS can as well.

You need to read closer, because again your just wrong in your assumptions of the original post. The OP has a degree, shes completing. NQT is the post degree experience that a new teacher does for a year after they graduate. They then have QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).

In relation to both points above, yes there are a signifigant number of 2nd and 3rd tier schools, in China that will hire a new teacher.

@wrldtrvlr123

Backwards from what I hear. It moved from Labor to Immigration, and the PSB has a stronger role now in investigating immigration/labor violators.

It really all boils down to who the school knows and what their pull is. Location is also a signifigant factor, there is less flexibility in capitol cities like beijing then there are in rural towns and cities out in the provinces.

@Mathman

Thanks for agreeing with me, what did we disagree about? I said the same thing in?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

[quote="Amybeth"]
I probably will return to the UK to teach but I suppose it depends on how well I get on with teaching abroad. However I will have to complete my NQT year within 5 years to teach again in the UK:/
[/quote]

Are you sure this is true? As far as I am aware you have five years to complete the induction year [i]once you start it[/i]. There is no time limit as to when you can start it.
ItchyFeet1

Post by ItchyFeet1 »

I read something this year which said that you needed to complete your NQT year within 5 years if you wanted to do supply. So you can come back and do it whenever you want.... If you want?! It changed recently. I am in a similar position qualifying this year. I have friends working internationally. Some countries are bound by visa regs and others will take you but don't expect an NQT programme. My concern is juggling essays and placement time now that interviews have started popping up. Its difficult finding time to research schools to decide which I am better attending. Im also concerned that I will take days off expecting interviews only to arrive to find myself lost in a recruitment fair. Its all so exciting, frustrating and stressful.