Western International School of Shanghai

sangster2

Western International School of Shanghai

Post by sangster2 »

I looked for a review but didn't see any. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

They are relativly new school, and are trying to basically export WAB to Shanghai. It has not gone well, and is not comparable to WAB. They keep trying to change leadership, and management trying to hit the sweet spot. Their are better more established schools in Shanghai, but given their newness, they are less competitive, and their are schools in Shanghai that are worse. Its not that they are horrible, but they keep dropping the ball on little things, and pay too much attention to insignificant details (pence wise and pound foolish). They dont get the landscape, and they havent developed the "WAB way" culture or environment.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

I know it is fairly new. Why are you comparing it to WAB though?

I don't want to work in a school like WAB at all so it not being like WAB is great. However I just wanted to know if it is an okay place to work at. Do they pay on time, are things fairly organised? Are teachers happy?

Thanks Psyguy.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

My only comment is that it is out in Qingpu in the western suburbs-the origin of the name maybe? The buildings are newish looking, the gym is a bit of a joke if you ask me and the school is not centrally located or near the metro. You can get on the freeway to downtown easily enough and there is a Carrefour, Decathalon and B&Q located about a km away.
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

@sangster2

Sorry if I was obtuse. They want to be like WAB and they are having some issues in getting there. They are trying to become the elite school in Shanghai. It will be a lot of work getting there, and they expect their staff and faculty to help them accomplish that goal.

Yes, they pay on time

Yes & No, they have come a long way from the beginning but they are not as organized as they should/could be, given their goals.

Teachers complain mostly about two things: 1) The workload and being overworked. 2) Frequent and poorly communicated policy changes.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Thanks.
Briz

Post by Briz »

bumping this up for any fresh info
Zezima

Post by Zezima »

Very friendly school. Extremely low turnover of staff. School is consolidating its full IB program, so it is an interesting place to work if you want to have input into how you would like to see things done in the future.