Vientiene International School

lderickson

Vientiene International School

Post by lderickson »

Does anyone have any insight on VIS in Loas. I am just curious about living arrangments for a family, family activities, the school itself, health care, savings potential, etc. Really any comments anyone has about VIS would be helpful. Thanks.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

For what it is worth I have some very dated information impressions-it was the best overseas teaching experience I have had. The housing was great, health care was iffy, family activities were centered around the school, savings was good-but that info is 10+ years old. Since leaving I have been looking for a similar experience..
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Overhere any recommendations of places to visit? I'm going to Laos in three weeks, I can't wait!
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Luang Pabang is the highlight for most people. If you are in the south you will probably end up in 4000 Islands.

Just try and get off the beaten track to see a different way of life, albeit one that is becoming more and more influenced by China.

After living and working in Laos and visiting all of the provinces on two extensive motorbike trips, I found Laos to be a country you kick back and 'feel' rather than 'see/do'.

Enjoy and sok dii der!
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Thanks for the tips Mr. Cake, very helpful.

I'm going to rent a moto for 12 days and just slowly explore.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I agree with Mr. Cake's description, I never thought of it that way. The Plain of Jars is also worth a visit. When we were there it had kind of a wild west feel to it.
lderickson

Post by lderickson »

Thanks for the info: 3 other quick questions....
1. What was the climate like? Did they have air conditioning in the housing?

2. Was travel to other near by Asian cities affordable?

3. I have three young children, would you worry about the availability of healthcare??

Any thoughts you have on these topics would be appreciated:) thanks
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Its hot from March to May-I remember measuring the temperature on the basketball court once and figured we could probably fry an egg. From May to Sept/Oct its hot and wet and then the rest of the year is very pleasant. We had air conditioning and even had new air machines installed once we were in the house.

Dated information
Travel was affordable, especially if you don't mind the train. We took the train from Nong Khai to Bangkok often. We also flew out of Udon Thani a number of times. I don't remember it being outrageous. Once you get to Bangkok then there are flights to almost anywhere you want to go to. Of course those were the days when you could get off or on the train across from Don Muang Airport, which made it really simple.

For any serious health concerns we had to cross the bridge and travel to Udon Thani, which at the time could pose a problem because the bridge wasn't open all the time. In country the health care was sketchy-a triage center at the Australian embassy was the best there was. I would have to believe its gotten better since then. Dentists were also an issue when we were there and Udon Thani had the nearest reliable dentist office as well.
lderickson

Post by lderickson »

Overhere- thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Your input is helpful. :)